Interpreting services are available for deaf and hard-of-hearing students through the Accessibility Center for Education (ACE) office upon students’ request. An interpreter will facilitate communication between you, the instructor, and classmates. Interpreting services are available for the following functions:
- Classroom instruction
- Meetings with faculty and staff
- Tutoring appointments
- Club activities
- Visits to Health Center
- Special events on campus
Interpreters hired by the ACE office are professionals who provide sign language interpretation for students with documented severe to profound hearing loss. Golden West College makes every reasonable effort to employ competent and skilled interpreters. Due to a nationwide shortage of interpreters, we, like other community colleges employ many interpreters of varying skill levels.These interpreters are assigned to appropriate classes based on their qualifications and their availability as well as other factors.
Golden West College will reasonably accommodate interpreting services at the discretion of the ACE office or Interpreter Specialist. Student requests for specific interpreters will be taken into consideration but not guaranteed. Qualified in-house interpreters will be arranged prior to use of agency interpreters; this may also include removal of agency interpreter.
How to request interpreting services:
- Read and sign the Student No Show Policy [PDF]
- Complete Classroom Interpreter Request [PDF] form
- Submit Classroom Interpreter Request [PDF] form at least three (3) weeks before the first day of class
Note: It is the student’s responsibility to inform the Interpreter Specialist if there are any changes to their schedule. Interpreters will only be assigned to classes that are requested on the Classroom Interpreter Request form.
Other interpreter requests:
- Complete Student/Interpreter Service [PDF] form.
- Submit Student/Interpreter Service [PDF] form. A minimum of 48 hours notice is required for an interpreter request. However, at least one week advance notice is preferred.
- If your request is for a class field trip, please be sure to include information about transportation (will you take a bus or will the interpreter drive alone and meet you there). If your instructor gives you a map, please make sure to make a copy and attach it to your request if possible.
Note: Completing the request form does not guarantee interpreting services. Every possible effort will be made to satisfy your requests, and you will be contacted if there is a concern.
While the interpreter is working in the classroom he/she is expected to interpret everything the instructor says and everything that is heard in the classroom. The interpreter cannot take notes for you; however, notetaking services are available by contacting ACE. The interpreter is not a tutor; if you need an explanation of your classroom material, please ask the instructor; your interpreter will interpret for you. If you have difficulty understanding your class work, tutoring services are available. To request a tutor, please contact the Tutorial & Learning Center. They will schedule an appointment for you to meet with a tutor. It is your responsibility to request an interpreter for a tutoring appointment.
The interpreter may use signs that are not familiar to you. If that happens, ask the interpreter to explain the sign.
If you are late to class, the interpreter will wait for 20 minutes for all classes. If you arrive more than 20 minutes late, go to the ACE office and meet with the Interpreter Specialist. If the interpreter has not been re-assigned, your interpreter will go back to class with you.
Meet with the ACE counselor to keep your file active and verify service needs. Request interpreting services for any and all class and campus activities needed. REMEMBER- all requests for interpreting services must be requested 48 hours in advance. (Exceptions may be made in an emergency situation)
Follow the “Student No Show Policy”.
- One (1) time: the interpreter will not return to class until you contact the ACE office to request reinstatement of interpreting services.
- Two (2) times: the interpreter will not return to class until you contact the ACE office to request reinstatement of interpreting services.
- Three (3) times: the interpreter will be suspended for that class. You must meet with the ACE counselor or Director to have your interpreter reinstated.
Request for reinstatement must be made at least 24 hours in advance before the next regularly scheduled class.
You must inform the ACE office if you will not be attending class 24 hours in advance. Interpreter cancelations less than 24 hours will equal one (1) no-call, no show.
Note: We understand that last minute changes may occur, please continue to have constant communication with the ACE office.
Contact ACE to cancel interpreting services 24 hours in advance when:
- You plan to miss class
- Room, day or time of class has changed
- You are dropping class
- You are canceling any other activity for which an interpreter was requested
If a class is canceled, you must notify the ACE program as soon as you find out.
Notify the Interpreter Specialist if your interpreter does not show up for class or is late. If your interpreter does not show for your class, inform your instructor that you must leave the classroom to check with the Interpreter Specialist to see if a substitute interpreter can be immediately called to your class. While you are in class without an interpreter, try to sit next to your notetaker and read the notes. You may be able to follow the lecture a little until an interpreter can be arranged. If no interpreter arrives in your classroom, after class go to the ACE office and fill out a Classroom Interpreter Request form and submit it to the Interpreter Specialist. Every effort will be made to assure there will be an interpreter present in your next class.
Discuss any issues you may have regarding your interpreter with the Interpreter Specialist. 714-895-8721 voice, email@example.com