Student Records: Grades
Grade reports are not mailed. Students may access their grades online by logging in to their MyGWC site. Students also have the option of printing their own GWC unofficial transcript from their MyGWC. Semester grades are available online approximately 10 working days after the end of the semester (excluding holiday periods).
Student performance in courses is indicated by one of 10 grades. Grades which carry point value, and which are used in determining the grade point average (GPA), are as follows:
- A - Excellent - 4 grade points per unit
- B - Good - 3 grade points per unit
- C - Satisfactory - 2 grade points per unit
- D - Passing, less than satisfactory - 1 grade point per unit
- F - Failing 0 - grade points per unit
To determine your GPA, divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units attempted for the grades of A, B, C, D and F (P and NP are not used in this calculation).
Pass/No Pass classes are not computed into GPA, but successful completion gives additional units of credit.
The following grades are not part of the GPA computation:
- P - Pass, at least satisfactory - Unit credit granted (See Grading options)
- NP – No Pass, less than satisfactory or failing - No units granted (See Grading options)
- W - Withdrawal - No units granted
- I - Incomplete - No units granted
- IP - In Progress - No units granted
- MW - Military Withdrawal - No units granted/No penalty
- NG - Non-Graded - No units granted
- RD - Report Delayed - No units granted
Pass/No Pass Grading Options
Students who enroll in courses designated "graded or pass/ no pass option" may change the grade by logging into MySite, clicking on Add/Drop Classes then clicking on the Grade Mode for the class you wish to change the grade option.
On the “Change Class Options” page, click on the drop down box and select the grade option then click on “Submit Changes”. Classes without a drop down do not have a grade option or the date has passed for choosing the grade option.
Print your Student Class Schedule/Web Schedule Bill to verify the grade option for your classes (Additional Information – GRD OPT).
After the class has started:
Students selecting this grading option must submit the Pass/No Pass Request Form to the Admissions and Records Office by the specified deadline for each course. (Please refer to your "Student Class Program(Web Schedule Bill)" in your MyCCC account). Requests can be submitted in person, by mail, or by fax (this information is listed on the form). If mailing, make sure the request is postmarked on or before the deadline date. Once the Pass/No Pass grading option has been requested, it can't be reversed. Therefore, before selecting this option, students should consult with a counselor.
Requesting the Pass/No Pass grading option must be submitted electronically no later than the end of the third week of the term for full-term (16 week) courses or during the first 20% of the course for all other length courses. For courses OTHER than full-term, the deadline is the same as the deadline for the “Last Day to Drop Without a Withdrawal” as printed on your Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill). You can find the various deadlines for your courses on your Student Class Program (Web Schedule Bill) – the link is on the Student Tab in your MyGWC account.
Once the grade option deadline has passed, the grade mode (Standard Letter or Pass/No Pass) cannot be changed. Before selecting this option, students should consult with a counselor. Generally, it is recommended that students select a letter grade in courses satisfying requirements for majors, general education, or for a high school course deficiency.
A maximum of 15 units of Pass/No Pass option coursework earned at an accredited college or university is counted toward the degree requirements for an Associate’s Degree.
Grades of "NP (No Pass)" are considered unsatisfactory and are counted towards progress probation and/or dismissal.
In courses where one performance standard determines unit credit, there is no option and only a "Pass" or "No Pass" is given.
Students are advised to read the following statements before deciding to pursue a course on a graded ("A" to "F") or Pass/No Pass basis.
- A grade of "Pass" or "No Pass" does not affect a student's grade point average at Golden West College.
- "NP", "W", and "I" grades are utilized by Golden West College in the determination of academic probation and disqualification. (Refer to college regulations concerning "Probation/Disqualification.")
- Courses taken at Golden West College to remedy an admissions deficiency for the University of California due to poor or incomplete high school preparation are not acceptable if completed on a "Pass/No Pass" basis.
- Students required to complete 60 units of course work with a grade point average of 2.4 prior to transfer to a University of California campus, such as Irvine , must complete at least 42 of these units on a graded ("A" through "F") basis.
- Some universities may specify that courses required for a major be completed on a standard grade basis ("A" through "F").
- Some universities specify that courses taken to satisfy general education breadth requirements be completed on a standard grade basis ("A" through "F").
Some institutions limit the number of units completed on a "Pass/No Pass" basis which are accepted toward the bachelor's degree. Students planning to apply to competitive admissions programs such as the health professions are usually advised to complete the specified preparation on a graded basis ("A" through "F")