A Prerequisite is a requirement which must be met before enrollment in a course.
NEW CHANGE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY – Prerequisites Clearance Request Forms must be submitted at least 10 business days prior to registration. Please Allow 5-7 business days for processing.
A Corequisite is a condition of enrollment consisting of a course that a student is
required to simultaneously take in order to enroll in another course.
An Advisory on Recommended Preparation is a condition of enrollment that is
advised, but not required, to meet before or in conjunction with enrollment in a course
or educational program.
Some courses require special permission or have mandatory prerequisites. If you are
planning to enroll in one of these courses, you must meet one of the following:
- Your GWC placement test (results) must recommend you for the class, or
- You must have completed the prerequisite course at GWC after 1989 with a
grade of C or better or be currently enrolled in it at the time or registration and
subsequently earn a grade of C or better, or
- You must have completed the prerequisite course at another college with a grade
of C or better. To show proof of the prerequisite completion, bring a copy of your
transcript or grade report to the Enrollment Center prior to enrolling.
A prerequisite/corequisite challenge requires written documentation, explanation of
alternative course work, background or abilities which adequately prepare the student
for the course. A Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form can be obtained from the
Assessment Center for all courses that have a prerequisite.
Reasons for seeking a Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form may
include one or more of the following:
- A prerequisite/corequisite is not reasonably available;
- The student believes the prerequisite/corequisite was established in violation of
regulation or in violation of the District-approved processes;
- The student believes the prerequisite/corequisite is discriminatory or being applied
in a discriminatory manner; or
- The student has the documented knowledge or ability to succeed in the course
without meeting the prerequisite/corequisite.
The college will respond to students filing of the Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge
Form in a timely fashion. If the challenge is upheld the student will be cleared to
register for the class. If it is not upheld, the student will need to meet the prerequisite before enrolling in the class.