Procedure To Challenge Mandatory Placement In English 010
In accordance with state regulations, effective in 1993, student placement in English 010 by means of a validated test was mandatory with the provision that students had the option of challenging their placement with the possibility of entering English 100. The student may file a Portfolio Challenge according to the following procedure:
PORTFOLIO CHALLENGE: Students whose placement test results require them to register for English 010 and who believe they can succeed in English 100 may file a Portfolio Challenge consisting of the following:
- A Challenge Form from the Assessment Center ( Technology Building , Room 100)
- A writing sample produced during a timed (90 minute) session in the Assessment Center
- Two (2) other samples of the student’s previous *school writing from high school or college including:
- One (1) sample of any length (minimum 100 words)
- One (1) sample of at least 500 words
- If the student cannot furnish samples of previous school writing, s/he will be given the opportunity to write samples necessary in the Assessment Center . Student may arrange to do so at separate sittings.
In every case, three (3) samples of the student’s writing must be presented (items 2 and 3 above).
*School writing is defined as formal writing — an essay (or for shorter sample, a formal paragraph) submitted to a teacher (high school or college) in partial fulfillment of the requirements of the course.
The writing should include:
- The Name of the Class
- Date of Assignment
- Name of Assignment
- Teacher’s Name
- Teacher’s Comments and Grade
UNACCEPTABLE PAPERS INCLUDE:
- Rewritten papers.
- Submitted writing must be the original graded copy.
- Published material (which typically has gone through at least two editing processes before publication and therefore is not acceptable).
- Creative writing. This type of writing does not meet the “formal writing” requirement.
HOW TO SUBMIT CHALLENGE: Portfolio must be submitted to the Assessment Center in a plain 9”x 12” clasp envelope with the following information written on the front of it:
- Student’s Name – Underline last name
- Student’s I.D.#
- Date of Placement Test
- Date Portfolio Challenge is submitted
REVIEW PROCESS: Upon receipt of the Portfolio, the Assessment Center will notify the Coordinator of the English Department Assessment, who will convene a panel of two (2) full-time English faculty members to read the portfolio and return the results within five (5) working days from the date it was submitted. The Challenge Panel will evaluate all three (3) writing samples on the basis of the attached document, “Entry Level Skills for English 100.”
RESULTS: Certification of results will be given to the student by Assessment Center . A copy of the results will remain on file and are valid for two years. After that period, a student may re-take the placement test and re-file a Portfolio Challenge, if necessary.
The Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form requires Acrobat Reader for viewing and printing. If not currently installed, it is available as a free download from Adobe's website.