Frequently Asked QuestionsAssessment Center
Walk-in testing is available Monday through Thursday from 8:00am to 3:00pm and Friday 8:00am to 2:30pm.
Walk-in testing hours are subject to change at any time. You may call the Assessment Center to verify testing hours.
Am I required to take the placement tests?
Who is exempt from Assessment Testing? Can I use AP or EAP results from High School?
(All eligible exemptions must be turned into GWC)
Possible exemptions from the placement test:
- Students who have taken a placement test at a California Community College (including GWC) within the last two years for placement in math and/or English. ESL scores from other colleges are not accepted.
- Students who have received a score of “3” or above on an AP math and/or AP English exam.
- Students who have successfully completed the prerequisite at another college and can submit official or unofficial transcripts to prove a final grade of C or better of the prerequisite course(s).
- High school students who an Early Assessment Program (EAP) score of “Standard Exceeded” status for English and/or math.
What is the importance of the Assessment?
How long does the test take?
Where do I park and what is the cost?
We are located on the First Floor of Business, Room 109. On the campus map, we are next to Lot F. Permits cost $3.00 for the day.
DO NOT park in metered parking if you are taking both math and English tests. Metered parking is good for 2 hours at a time. Your test session will most likely be longer than 2 hours.
What do I need on test day?
What is the re-test policy?
The 1st re-test is possible 1 week after your original English, ESL, or Math test date.
The 2nd re-test is possible under the following rules:
- For English: 1 year after 1st re-test date.
- For ESL: 6 months after 1st re-test date.
- For Math: 6 months after 1st re-test date, OR, any time after 1st re-test date with documentation of a remedial/prep program such as GWC’s Jumpstart.
How can I challenge a placement result?
The challenge process depends on the course you are trying to enter. Please contact us at email@example.com or at
714-892-7711 ext 51080.
What if I completed coursework at another college or university?
When and where can I get my placement test results?
What if I lose my test results?
Can the Placement test results be transferred to other community colleges or 4-year universities?
Golden West College accepts English and/or math placement test results from any accredited college, provided that the test has been taken within the past two (2) years from an accredited institution.
Please check the policies of other institutions regarding transferring test results as they may vary.