Designed to give students on cash aid a chance to obtain their educational/career goal or upgrade marketable skills to secure viable employment.
The CalWORKs program at Golden West College is designed to give students on welfare a chance to obtain or upgrade marketable skills that can be used to secure viable employment. Through personalized attention, counseling and motivation, this program will provide you with special preparation for a successful academic experience.
RECEIVING CASH AID?
Call or stop by the CalWORKs Center to find out about FREE services available to you.
If Eligible, Services May Include:
- Individual appointment with an Intake Counselor to explain program services and a chance to ask questions.
- Individualized academic, vocational, career, and personal counseling with a CalWORKs Counselor to include the development of a long-range student educational plan that is personalized for your educational/career goal.
- Assistance in applying for special programs on campus such as Financial Aid, EOP/S, CARE, etc. will be provided for participants.
- Tour of the campus and orientation to campus services.
- Free study skills and student success seminars.
- Free computerized career assessment and individualized interpretation of results.
- Assistance with transportation, bus passes or gas vouchers are available to a limited number of students.
- Coordination of the assessment process and analysis of results to integrate basic skills instruction with vocational training.
- Job development assistance working with a Job Specialist in matching student skills with employment opportunities.
- Assistance in resume preparation and job interviewing skills.
- Coordination of registration with Admissions and Records office.
- Referrals to outside agencies for healthcare, food, clothing, transportation, housing, etc.
- Assistance with childcare.
- Once enrolled in classes, a book bag with a starter kit of school supplies will be given to each participant including a binder, paper, dictionary, pencils, pens, book bag, etc. Also a program T-shirt will be given after enrollment is verified.
How to apply for the CalWORKs Program
Contact the Re-Entry/CalWORKS Center at (714) 895-8111 for an appointment or stop by the Golden West College Administration Building to set up a Counseling appointment or contact us online. Students can now submit general academic advising questions to counseling electronically
Re-Entry Services at Golden West College offers special programs for individuals who are returning to school after a lengthy absence or who are receiving TANF/AFDC benefits (CalWORKs). More information about Re-Entry...
For more information contact:
Linda York 892-7711 ext.58111 Re-Entry/CalWORKs Center
Naomi Yoshida-Tan 892-7711 ext.55212 Re-Entry/CalWORKs Center