GWC Catalog


Academic Year 2019 – 2020

The academic year is divided into four sessions: fall semester, extending from August through December; Intersession, if available, the month of January; spring semester, from February through May; and summer session, from approximately June through mid-August.

Courses offered during these sessions are similar in scope and maintain equivalent standards. Students may enroll concurrently at Golden West College, Orange Coast College, and Coastline Community College, in both day and evening classes as well as online classes. Coordination of programs by these sister institutions provides a broad range of complementary offerings. On-campus classes are taught anywhere from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some Saturday classes may be offered on a limited basis.

Academic Calendar

To view the GWC Campus Calendar of Event visit here

Admission Application

Application for admission is available online at Questions regarding admission procedures will be handled by staff in the Answer Center, the Call Center, as well as staff in Admissions & Records, all located in the Student Services Center. 

Open Enrollment Policy

It is the policy of the Coast Community College District that, unless specifically exempted by statute, every course section or class, the attendance of which is to be reported for state aid, wherever offered and maintained by the District, shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college(s) and who meets such prerequisites as established pursuant to Section 58106 of Title 5 of the California Administrative Code.

Noncredit Program Admission

For information about our noncredit programs and courses, please contact: (714) 895-8955 or 

Admissions Eligibility

Anyone 18 years of age or older and who can profit from instruction qualifies for admission. If under age 18, you will qualify for admission if you have satisfied one of these:

  1. Graduated from high school
  2. Hold Certificate of Proficiency or a G.E.D. from the State of California
  3. Enrollment in the 9th or 12th grade and recommendation for advanced academic or vocational college level study

In accordance with California Education Code Sections 76001 or 76001.5, 9th through 12th grade students may be eligible to enroll in courses at Golden West College for advanced-level study in instructional or vocational areas not available at their school. The school and the college will determine who may enroll based on their judgment of the applicant’s ability to profit from instruction. The college has the right and responsibility to restrict enrollment for reasons of health and safety, appropriateness of the course, preparedness of the student, college policy, state law and space availability. Note: In accordance with SB338, enrollment in physical education courses have been restricted or excluded.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Under this Act, students attending an institution of higher learning become an adult when it comes to their educational records at that institution. It is the policy of the Coast Community College District, in accordance with FERPA, to not release/discuss a student’s records without the signed release from the student authorizing the release of that information to anyone except the student.

Important Information for 9th through 12th Grade Students (College Credit Courses for High School Students: Dual & Concurrent Enrollment)

At Golden West College, we are dedicated to helping high school students throughout our district achieve college and career readiness. In partnership with local high schools, we are striving to support students’ needs by offering multiple ways students can earn college credit in order to:

  • Develop seamless pathways from high school to community college for Career & Technical Education programs;
  • Increase students’ preparation to transfer to four-year colleges and universities starting in high school;
  • Support high school graduation rates by offering students opportunities to enroll in college prep courses.

For more information on Dual and Concurrent Enrollment, visit our college website:

High School Students enrolled in college credit classes should be aware that:

  • All Golden West College courses are college level courses
  • High School Students cannot displace a college level student
  • High School Students are not allowed on waitlists
  • If the student is home-schooled, he/she must provide verification that the home-school program is recognized and approved by the county department of education and provide verification that the student is able to succeed in college level classes. A Private School Affidavit should accompany the Special Part-Time High School Release Form or the Dual Enrollment Release form found

Students enrolled in 9th through 12th grade may enroll in courses at Golden West College if they meet the following criteria:

  • The student must be at least a minimum day student at his/her school (not required for summer class registration)
  • The course(s) requested is an advanced academic or vocational experience and not available at the student’s regular school (PE courses are restricted in accordance with SB338)
  • The student meets the prerequisite for the course requested
  • The student has the permission of his/her parent and have completed the Parent Consent Form .
  • The student has the permission of his/her high school principal or designee with a recommendation of the specific course or courses to be taken and have completed the Dual Enrollment Release Form or Special Part-Time High School Release Form Form.

The college has the right and responsibility to restrict enrollment for reasons of health and safety, appropriateness of the course, preparedness of the student, college policy, state law and space availability. Application procedures are available on the Golden West College website.

Residence Requirements

Generally, California residence is established by one of the following:

  1. If the applicant is under the age of 18, his or her parents must have had legal residence in California for a minimum of 12 consecutive months preceding the day before the first day of the semester or summer session.
  2. If the applicant is 18 but not yet 19 years of age, the applicant and the applicant’s parents or legal guardian must have residence in California for a minimum of 12 consecutive months preceding the day before the first day of the semester or summer session.
  3. If the applicant is 19 years of age or older, the applicant must have had legal residence in California for a minimum of 12 consecutive months preceding the day before the first day of the semester.
  4. Alien students holding visas which do not preclude them from establishing residency in California must have legal residence in California for a minimum of 12 consecutive months preceding the day before the first day of the semester.

*Residency Exemption—Nonresident

Tuition Exemptions for Refugees, Special Immigrant Visa holders, and Others.

In 2017, the California Legislature also enacted Assembly Bill 343, which establishes a new exemption from nonresident tuition for refugees with special immigrant visas (SIVs) who have fled Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria or other countries. Please contact the Residency Specialist at for more information.

Effective January 1, 2018, Education Code section 68075.6 grants an exemption to nonresident tuition for:

  1. Iraqi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq, and who meet certain criteria (Ed. Code, § 68075.6, subd. (b)(1); Public Law 110-181,§ 1244);
  2. Translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces, and who meet certain criteria (Ed. Code, § 68075.6; Public Law 109-163, § 1059); and
  3. Refugees (Ed. Code, § 68075.6, subd. (b) (1), 8 U.S.C. § 1157).

These exemptions only apply to those who settled in California upon entering the United States. (Ed. Code, § 68075.6, subd. (b)(1). Students who settled elsewhere in the United States, and then moved to California would not be eligible for this exemption and would be required to either establish residency or pay nonresident tuition. Under Education Code section 68122, T and U visa holders are also exempt from nonresident tuition by extension of Assembly Bill 343.

Assembly Bill 343 also states that the exemption for a student is only available for the maximum time it would take for the student to establish residency. (Ed.Code, § 68075.6, subd. (b)(1).) That time, and therefore any nonresident tuition exemption, will expire one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States. (Ed. Code, § 68017.) Upon expiration of the nonresident tuition exemption, the student will either have established residency in California, or will have an intention to reside elsewhere, and be subject to nonresident tuition.

It is the responsibility of all students to maintain an accurate address on file with the Admissions & Records Office.

Nonresident Students

The following conditions are applicable regarding nonresident fees:

  • Students who are not residents of California as of the day immediately preceding the first day of the semester or summer session will be required to pay nonresident tuition and capital outlay fees.
  • A student who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this, except a member of the Armed Forces assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education, is entitled to resident classification only for the purpose of determining the amount of tuition and fees.
  • Dependents of Service members are granted a one-year exemption from paying the nonresident tuition fee. The one-year period begins on the date the dependent enters California. After the exemption period has ended, dependents will be charged nonresident tuition and capital outlay fees unless they have met the residency intent and durational requirements for a one-year period prior to the residency determination date.
  • Veteran military personnel that were stationed in California for more than one year prior to separation qualify for the non-resident college fee waiver for one year within two years commencing immediately after discharge.
  • Minors (under 18 years of age and not married) will be required to pay the nonresident tuition and capital outlay fees if their parents or legal guardians reside outside the state even though such minors may have lived in California for one year or more.
  • Students who are financially dependent on their parents or legal guardians will be required to pay nonresident tuition capital outlay fees if their parents or legal guardians reside outside the state even though such students may have lived in California for one year or more.
  • Alien students holding visas which preclude them from establishing residency in California may be restricted in their enrollment at Golden West College and will have to pay nonresident tuition capital outlay fees.
  • AB 540 Exemption Eligibility Requirements Senate Bill 68 established a complex scheme for determining eligibility for the AB 540 exemption. Under Senate Bill 68, a student is exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges if the student meets all of the following four requirements, as applicable:

Attendance at California schools.
This requirement may be met in either of the following two ways:

  • Total attendance (or attainment of credits earned) in California equivalent to three or more years of full-time attendance at California high schools, California high schools established by the State Board of Education, California adult schools (established by a county office of education, a unified school district or high school district, or the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation), campuses of the California Community Colleges, or a combination of these; or
  • Three or more years of full-time California high school coursework, and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of California elementary and secondary schools (Ed. Code, § 68130.5, subd. (a)(1).) Full-time attendance at a California community college means either 12 units of credit per semester (or quarter equivalent per year) or a minimum of 420 class hours per year (or semester or quarter equivalent per year) in non-credit courses authorized by Education Code section 84757. Attendance in credit courses at a California community college counted towards this requirement shall not exceed a total of two years of full-time attendance. (Ed. Code, § 68130.5, subds. (a)(1) (C)(i), (a)(1)(C)(ii).) Full-time attendance at a California adult school means a minimum of 420 class hours of attendance for each school year in classes or courses authorized by Education Code section 41976, or Penal Codes sections 2053 or 2054.2. (Ed. Code, §68130.5, subd. (a)(1)(C)(i).)

Completion of a course of study.
This requirement may be met in any of the following ways:

  • Graduation from a California high school or equivalent.
  • Attainment of an associate degree from a California community college.
  • Fulfillment of the minimum transfer requirements established for the University of California or the California State University for students transferring from a California community college. (Ed. Code, § 68130.5, subd. (a)(2).)
  • Registration. Requires registration as an entering student at, or current enrollment at, an accredited institution of higher education in California. (Ed. Code, §68130.5, subd. (a)(3).)
  • Affidavit of student without lawful immigration status. Students without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with their college or university stating that the student has either filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so. (Ed. Code, § 68130.5, subd. (a)(4).)
  • Under Senate Bill 68, a “nonimmigrant alien” within the meaning 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(15) is not entitled to claim the exemption. These provisions identify a number of categories of visitors to the United States who have a form of temporary lawful status, but do not intend to establish residency.
  • California General Educational Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), and California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE). See General Counsel Legal Opinions 05-09 and 06-02.
  • The California Dream Act (Assembly Bills 130 and 131) were signed into law in 2011. Together these bills compose the California Dream Act and give AB 540 / AB 2000 students the right to apply for state financial aid, including Cal Grant A & B Entitlement awards, Cal Grant C awards, institutional grants and community college fee waivers.
  • In accordance with SB 141, Golden West College will exempt from nonresident tuition, a nonresident student who is a U.S. citizen and who resides in a foreign country, if that student meets all of requirements of the bill. Contact the Residency Specialist for a list of requirements: or (714) 895-8306.
  • “Non-Resident Tuition” Exemption: In accordance with AB669, a student who currently resides in California and is 19 years of age or under at the time of enrollment, who is currently a dependent or ward of the state through California’s child welfare system, or was served by California’s child welfare system and is no longer being served either due to emancipation or aging out of the system, may be entitled to resident classification until he or she has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

Non-Resident Tuition in addition to the per unit cost: $265.00 per unit + $11.00 per unit Non-Resident Capital Outlay. Students who are not California residents as defined by the Education Code are required to pay the nonresident tuition fee in addition to the fees described above. Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to prove that he/she is a California resident.

Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act (VACA) 

Effective July 1, 2015, California Education Code (68075.5(c)c) allows California Community Colleges to grant full exemption from the nonresident fee for all students verified to be “covered individuals” per the below criteria and that qualify to use Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty or Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits (Chapters 30 and 33, respectively, of Title 38, U.S. Code) while living in California.

Covered Individuals:

  1. A Veteran who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  2. Individuals eligible for rehabilitation under 38 U.S. Code § 3102 pursuing a course of education with education assistance from the Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities (Chapter 31) education benefits program.
  3. A spouse or child entitled to transferred education benefits who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active-duty service of 90 days or more.
  4. A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty) who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active-duty service of 90 days or more.
  5. After expiration of the three year period following discharge or death as described in 38 U.S.C. 3679(c), a student who initially qualifies under the applicable requirements above will maintain “covered individual” status as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters or terms) at the institution, even if they enroll in multiple programs and shall continue to be exempt from paying nonresident tuition and other fees as described in the updated fee policy described below.

How Do I Obtain The VACA Act Tuition Fee Waiver?

The VACA Act Tuition Fee Waiver form is available online at the following link:

Incorrect Classification

A student incorrectly classified as a California Resident is subject to reclassification as a nonresident and payment of nonresident fees. If incorrect classification results from false or misleading statements, the student will be responsible for any fees associated with the incorrect classification. For evaluation of residency status, students must complete the Statement of Residence form and submit appropriate documentation as proof of California Residence (Sections 54012 and 54024 of AP 5015 Residence Classification) through the third week of the semester. The initial residency classification will be made at the time the student applies for admission. Students may file residency questionnaire forms through the third week of the semester to request a review of their residency status. Final residency determination is made by the Admissions & Records Office, located in the Student Services Center.


Reclassification to resident status must be requested by the student. The appropriate Statement of Residence form along with the required proofs that establish both physical presence (minimum requirement of 12 consecutive months prior to the residency determination date) and intent to make California their permanent home must be submitted to the Admissions & Records prior to the term in which the student wishes to establish residency. Although a minimum of two proofs are required for residency reclassification consideration, the burden of proof remains in the hands of the requestor. Therefore, the Admissions & Records reserves the right to request additional documentation in its efforts to determine California Residency for tuition purposes. For additional information, contact a Residency Specialist in the Admissions & Records Office in the Student Services Center, or (714) 895-8306.

International Students on Student (F-1) Visas 

Golden West College values diversity and encourages international students to seek admission. The college is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students (Code of Federal Regulations 8CFR 214.3(k) and Section 101(a)(15)(F).). Golden West College provides a full service International Student Program (ISP) which works closely with international students throughout their studies. The ISP is dedicated to serving and supporting prospective, new, and continuing international students at GWC. Services for international students include specialized orientation, academic counseling, expert regulatory guidance, housing referral services, and customized student programming. Golden West College admits international students for the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. All application materials must be submitted by the following deadlines*:

Summer April 25

Fall July 15

Spring December 10

*Applicants outside the U.S. are strongly advised to apply three to four months ahead of the above deadlines to allow sufficient time for visa application and processing. Please check the ISP website for extended deadlines which apply to in-country transfer students. The above deadlines are subject to change based on course availability.

Admission/Enrollment requirements are specified below. All documentation should be submitted directly to the International Student Program office at Golden West College:

  1. International applicants to Golden West College must be high school graduates, be pursuing the final semester of high school or equivalent, or be 18 years of age or older prior to the start of the term of application. (Applicants who have completed high school, but who are under age 18 must submit proof of legal guardianship in the U.S.)

  2. A signed, original International Student Application must be submitted along with a $55 Application Fee.

  3. All applicants must provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to meet all expenses during their period of attendance at Golden West College.

  4. International students must have sufficient knowledge of English to benefit from instruction at the college level. Therefore, all applicants whose native language is not English are required to produce a minimum TOEFL score of 61 (Internet-based test); or the equivalent on an accepted alternate standardized test of English proficiency; or demonstrate equivalency with prior coursework (original transcripts required); or obtain a qualifying score on the Golden West College placement test. See the International Student Program website for a full list of options for English demonstration.

  5. Arrangements should be made to have official transcripts of all high school, college and ESL coursework sent directly to the International Student Program. All university coursework (from within the U.S. and abroad) is required.

  6. Students transferring from another U.S. college, language program, or high school must notify their current Designated School Official (DSO) of their intent to transfer. The transfer process and SEVIS record release must be completed prior to the semester start date. Copies of the I-20, visa and passport pages must be submitted at the time of application.

  7. International students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units each semester and pay international student (nonresident and capital outlay) fees. All fees are due at the time of registration.

  8. All international students are required to purchase the college designated international student health insurance plan prior to registration. Private insurance is not accepted.

  9. All international students are required by law to report a change of address to the school within 10 days of moving.

  10. Completion of the International Student Orientation prior to the semester start date is mandatory.

For more information, visit the International Student Program office located within the Center for Global and Cultural Programs on the 1st floor of the Student Center, or contact:

Golden West College
International Student Program
15744 Goldenwest Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92647-3103

Phone: (714) 895-8146
Fax: (714) 895-8973



Students Holding Visas Other Than Student (F-1) Visas

Aliens holding valid visas that are otherwise eligible for admission may enroll in classes provided they are proficient in English and their visas do not expire before the end of the term for which they are enrolling. Contact the Residency Specialist in Admissions & Records for information concerning specific enrollment restrictions.

An alien who is precluded from establishing domicile in the United States shall not be classified as a resident unless and until he or she has been granted a change in status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to a classification which permits establishing domicile and has met all other applicable residency requirements. Aliens considered to be nonresidents are required to pay the nonresident tuition charge, and are not eligible for tuition exemption (Education Code 68130.5).

International Part-Time Concurrent Enrollment

If you are currently in the U.S. attending another school on an F-1, J-1 or M-1 visa, you may be able to take one or two classes at Golden West College as a concurrent student. You must submit the following documents to request concurrent enrollment at Golden West College:

  1. Complete the online application at

  2. A copy of your current I-20 valid until the end of the term in which you are enrolling in.*

  3. A letter from the DSO at your current school authorizing you to take the specific Golden West course(s). **Please wait until you receive your GWC student ID number before sending items 2 and 3.

We do not accept photographs of documents; documents may be scanned and emailed or submitted in person in Admissions & Records. You will need to submit a new letter for each term of intended enrollment.

Admissions Information


New and returning students who have been absent for two or more semesters must submit a new application. You may submit an application online at: Check the college website for application filing periods. Students are strongly encouraged to apply early in the application filing period in order to have time to complete all the requirements to be eligible for a priority registration appointment. Refer to the college website for more information regarding priority registration.

Admissions Status

New/Returning students will receive information via email on how to log in to MyGWC, the college’s student/faculty web portal once Admissions & Records processes your application. The email will also include your student ID number as well as any steps you will need to take in order to secure the best possible registration appointment.

Student Registration, Placement and Educational Planning 

Based on student responses to the Golden West College application for admission, students self-identify as either matriculating or non-matriculating. Students identified as matriculating are referred to core services: orientation and counseling. Students must complete orientation and declare a course of study and develop an educational plan prior to being eligible to receive priority registration. An educational plan can be accomplished by enrolling in a counseling course, attending an educational planning workshop, or by scheduling an appointment with a counselor.

  • New Student Orientation
  • Receive a Student Education Plan
  • Placement: complete a multiple measure assessment: high school GPA or guided self-placement. GWC no longer requires or provides assessment tests to determine student’s entry level into Math and English courses. All students have direct access to transfer-level Math and English courses with or without supplemental support.

The Guided Self-Placement Tool can help students choose the appropriate Math and English courses. Before enrolling in classes, students should make an appointment with a Counselor, who can help you make the best selection of courses based on your ability and academic goals. To contact General Counseling, visit or call 714-895-8799.

For assistance with placement into our English as a Second Language (ESL) or English Language Learner (ELL) courses please see the website for additional information.

Non-matriculating students are exempt from participating in these core services but are advised to access these services if they decide to pursue a degree or certificate.


Some students may be exempted from advisement/orientation and counseling if they meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Completed an A.A. degree or higher at an accredited United States college or university.
  2. Are concurrently enrolled or are Dual Enrollment high school students attending with the recommendation of the school principal.

Prerequisites/ Corequistes/ Advisories

A Prerequisite is a requirement which must be met before enrollment in a course.

A Corequisite is a condition of enrollment consisting of a course that a student is required to simultaneously take in order to enroll in another course.

An Advisory (Recommended Preparation) is a condition of enrollment that is advised, but not required, to meet before, or in conjunction with, enrollment in a course or educational program.

Prerequisite Courses

Some courses require special permission or have mandatory prerequisites. If you are planning to enroll in one of these courses, you must meet one of the following:

  1. Coast Community College District placement results
  2. You must have completed the prerequisite course at GWC after 1989 with a grade of C or better or be currently enrolled in it at the time of registration and subsequently earn a grade of C or better, or
  3. You must have completed the prerequisite course at another college with a grade of C or better.

An online Prerequisite Clearance Request must be submitted at least 10 days prior to your registration appointment. Students should allow 5 to 7 business days for processing. Students can upload any necessary unofficial documents (transcripts, AP scores, etc.) with the online request.

Note: Grades of “C-“ do not meet the “C” grade or better requirement as defined for this purpose.

Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge

A prerequisite/corequisite challenge requires written documentation, explanation of alternative course work, background or abilities which adequately prepare the student for the course. A Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form can be obtained from the Counseling Office for all courses that have a prerequisite.

Reasons for seeking a Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form may include one or more of the following:

  1. A prerequisite/corequisite is not reasonably available;
  2. The student believes the prerequisite/corequisite was established in violation of Title 5 regulations or in violation of the District-approved processes; the student believes the prerequisite/corequisite is discriminatory or being applied in a discriminatory manner; or
  3. The student has the documented knowledge or ability to succeed in the course without meeting the prerequisite/corequisite.

Note: A grade lower than a “C” in a prerequisite course may NOT be challenged through this process.

The college will respond to students filing the Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form via email in a timely manner. If the challenge is upheld the student will be cleared to register for the class. If it is not upheld, the student will need to meet the prerequisite before enrolling in the class.

Fees and Expenses

Enrollment Fee: $46 per unit*

*Enrollment Fee is subject to change by the State Legislature.

Student Health Service Fee: $20 per semester for fall and spring; $16 for summer session. This is a mandated fee unless the student presents a waiver. Those eligible for a waiver are:

Students who depend solely on prayer for healing in accordance with the teachings of a bona fide religious sect, denomination, or organization. For further information, call (714) 895-8306.

Students enrolled only in courses of less than two weeks duration.

College Service Charge: $17 per semester for fall and spring. $10 for summer session. This charge underwrites many student services and campus programs. The College Administration and Student Council encourage students to support the campus community by paying this non-mandatory fee.

A portion ($1.00) of each $17, funds student scholarships. Information about specific programs funded by this charge and requests for a waiver of the College Services Charge are available during posted business hours in the Office of Campus Life. The request to waive the College Services Charge must be secured in advance prior to the student’s payment of registration fees. The period to obtain this waiver is between the date class schedules are available online through the last day to enroll in the regular school semester. This fee is subject to change. For further information call (714) 895-8261.

Student Representation Fee: $2 per semester for fall and spring. One dollar ($1.00) will go to the campus and one dollar ($1.00) will go to the Student Senate for California Community Colleges for the purposes of providing student government representatives the means to state their positions and viewpoints before city, county, district, state, and federal government as well as other public agencies on behalf of the student body. This is a voluntary contribution made at the time of registration.

Nonresident Tuition: $265 per unit + $11 per unit Nonresident Capital Outlay. Students who are not California residents as defined by the Education Code are required to pay the non-resident tuition fee and nonresident capital outlay fee, in addition to the fees described above. Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to prove that he/she is a California resident.

Material Fees: In accordance with regulations of the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, Title 5, California Administrative Code, Section 59400 et seq., the Coast Community College District shall provide free of charge to students all instructional materials, except for materials which the District Board of Trustees has approved as required materials for a particular course. The student must purchase these materials from the College at the District cost. The Board has approved such fees because these materials are required to complete the objectives of the course and they are tangible property of continuing value outside the classroom which the student will retain as his or her own property.

Parking Permits: $30 per semester and $15 for the summer session. A current Golden West College Parking Permit is required to park a vehicle in campus parking lots. Permits may be purchased on-line by logging in to the student portal (MyGWC) or via the college’s website. The permit must be displayed in clear view on the left rear bumper (driver’s side) or hung from the inside rear view mirror, or attached inside the front window so as to be clearly visible. Mechanical permit dispenser machines are available in each parking lot for parking by the day at a cost of $3 per day. Coin operated parking meters are available for use at $0.25 per each 15 minutes for a maximum stay of 2 hours. Failure to properly display a valid parking permit may result in the issuance of a citation. A student whose permit is lost or stolen must purchase a new permit.

Parking citations are issued in cooperation with the West Orange County Municipal Court. These citations, if ignored, will affect future vehicle registration privileges with the California DMV. An academic hold will also be placed on the student’s CCCD account until the citation has been paid.

Textbooks: Textbooks, manuals and other supplies are the responsibility of the student, and may cost as much as $800 per semester. Required items are available at the campus Bookstore. Check with the Bookstore for refund, exchange and buyback policies.

Zero Cost Course Materials Sections: These course sections exclusively use digital or other instructional materials that are free of charge to students and may have a low-cost option for print versions for students who prefer this format. Please note there may still be other non-textbook mandatory costs associated with some of these sections (e.g. scantrons, scientific calculators, laboratory materials and/or supplies, etc.). Under some circumstances, faculty may have to adjust selection of instructional materials and this can affect student costs. It may also be necessary to replace instructors scheduled to teach sections. Replacement faculty have academic freedom to choose instructional materials
regardless of costs and are not obligated to use free course materials selected by previous instructor. These lists might be updated throughout the registration period. For additional information please contact faculty assigned to teach Zero Cost Digital Textbook sections or division deans.

Living Expenses: Housing, transportation, food and other living costs are the responsibility of the student. Golden West College does not operate dormitories or any off-campus housing. A housing referral service is available through the Student Life and Leadership Office. The referral lists are not approved, inspected, or in any way supervised by the college.

Library Fine Policy: Students are encouraged to return library materials on time in order to avoid fines and possible holds on grades, transcripts, and/or loss of library privileges. Fines are assessed for weekends, holidays, and during library hours since books can be returned 24 hours a day. An after-hours book return is located at the front entrance.

The fine rates are $0.25/item/day for books from the general collection, $0.25/hour for reserve materials, and $6/day for media items. Bills for replacement costs and processing fees will be issued. Library fines and fees should be paid at the Public Services Desk.

When a book is lost, the Public Services librarian will determine the replacement cost of the item.

All fees are subject to change during the academic year.

Priority Registration Policy

Enrollment priority is the process used to determine the order in which students will have the opportunity to register for classes. Recognizing that each college serves a unique student population that may have differing needs, the development of specific registration priorities for some student groups will be done at the college level in accordance with District procedures.

The Coast Community College District is committed to the philosophy that all students should have fair and equitable access to courses and programs within the resources of each college and in accordance with State Education Code, Title 5 provisions, and guidelines adopted by the Board of Governors. Further, the District believes that students should be able to progress toward their stated educational objective in a timely manner.

The primary mission of the District colleges is to provide degree, certificate, and transfer programs. Therefore, priority is extended to matriculated students who have demonstrated satisfactory academic progress toward their declared educational objectives in these areas.

Students are assigned registration appointments in accordance with the Coast Community College District (CCCD) Board Policy, BP 5055 and Administrative Procedure, AP 5055. Students will lose priority registration due to unit cap and/or not meeting academic progress standards (completion of more than 50% of courses attempted and maintaining a cumulative 2.0 GPA). Students will also lose eligibility for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) due to not meeting academic standards. Students may appeal for consideration of reinstatement of priority registration and/or CCPG eligibility. For exceptions that will be considered, visit the Golden West College website for details.

Board Policies and Administrative Procedures are available on the Board Policy section of the Coast Community College District (CCCD) website at


Online Registration: Online registration is by assigned appointment. Registration appointments are typically assigned to students two to three weeks prior to the first day of the registration cycle for the upcoming semester or session. This includes continuing students as well as new and returning students (applicants). Any student who applies and is admitted for the semester or term will have access to the MyGWC portal for all registration, fee payment and withdrawal transactions.

In-Person Registration: Students who are unable to register using MyGWC or choose not to do so can enroll in-person on a space available basis beginning the first week of the semester or session. NOTE: Class availability will be very limited for students who choose to wait for the in-person registration period.

Late Registration: Late registration for all classes begins the first day of the semester or session. During the first two weeks of class (spring and fall semester), students may register only with the permission of the instructor. In order for a student to receive a late add during the second week, he or she must have been in attendance the first week of class. Students will not be permitted to register after the second week of class. Check the college website or the class schedule for registration deadlines. Students should be aware that missing the first class meeting or meetings may severely affect their chances to succeed in the course.

NOTE: Students entering classes late are responsible for making up missed work and are responsible for all fee and refund deadlines associated with each class section. Students who are permitted to add after the refund deadline will not be eligible for a refund if the class is dropped.

Physical Examination: A physical examination is not required to enroll at Golden West College except for students entering the Nursing Program and the Criminal Justice Academy Programs. The College Nurse may require a student to have a physical examination to protect either the student or the college.

Eligibility for Courses and Programs: A student may enroll in any course offered at Golden West College provided prerequisites for the course have been met.

Programs Requiring Advanced Approval: The programs at Golden West College that require advanced approval before entering are: Nursing – RN; Nursing – LVN to RN, and the Criminal Justice Academy Programs.

Waitlists: Waitlists may be available for most classes. If you add yourself to the waitlist and a seat becomes available, you will be notified by email and will have 24 hours to add the class via MyGWC. Students with valid cell phone numbers will also receive a text notification. Waitlist email notifications are sent to the Coast District assigned student Gmail account ( The link to your Gmail is found on the home page within your MyGWC.

Closed Classes: Classes with a “C” next to them on the searchable online class schedule indicate that the class is closed (full). If the class in which you wish to enroll is closed, don’t give up!

  1. Go for the sure thing! Try to find another CRN of the course that may still have seats available.
  2. If there is a waitlist option, place yourself on the waitlist. If a seat becomes available you will be notified by email and text and will have 24 hours to add the waitlisted class. All prerequisites and corequisites must be met. You can monitor your waitlist position by logging into your MyGWC and clicking on “Detail Schedule with Waitlist Position” from the student tab. Even though text messaging is available for waitlist notifications, it is suggested you log into your MyGWC and check your Coast District assigned Gmail account at least three times a day to reduce the chance of missing the email notification for the waitlist.
  3. If waitlists are not available, check back to see if a seat may have become available due to a student withdrawal or due to a student being dropped for nonpayment of fees.
  4. If the class you want does not reopen before the semester begins, or if you are unable to place yourself on the waitlist because it is full, does not exist, or you are not eligible to do so, you may still go to the first class meeting. If space is available, the instructor may give you an ADD PERMIT with an Add Authorization Code (AAC). The AAC will allow you to register online MyGWC for the course prior to the “EXPIRES” deadline using the online registration system. However, please be aware that most instructors give priority to students who are already on the waitlist.

Please Note: A student must have a registration appointment to be able to register online using their MyGWC account.

Registration Fee Payment Procedure

Registration fees are due IMMEDIATELY after registration occurs. Golden West College does not bill for unpaid registrations. Students will be dropped for non-payment in accordance with the Drop for Non-Payment schedule posted on the college website. Visit for specific payment deadlines.

Students Owing Less Than $100: Students who have a balance due of less than $100 will not be dropped from classes, but unpaid balances will result in a hold on your account that prevents obtaining student records, including transcripts, verifications of enrollment, diplomas, etc.

Students Owing $100 or More: Students who have a balance due of $100 or more will be dropped from classes (including Waitlist classes) if payments are not received in accordance with the Drop for Non-Payment schedule posted on the college website.

IMPORTANT: Students who enroll in classes after the final drop for non-payment or enroll after the term begins will not be dropped BUT will incur a financial obligation to the college AND a hold will be placed on their record if payment is not received. This hold will block future registration (adds, drops, withdrawals), obtaining transcripts, grades, diplomas, or verification of enrollment until all fees are paid. Any unpaid balances could be forwarded to a Collection agency which will incur additional costs.

Fee Payment Methods

Students can conveniently pay fees online by credit card via their MyGWC portal. Cash and checks may be accepted on a limited basis in the Bursar’s Office, located in the Student Services Center during regular business hours.

Financial Aid Payments: Students who are having difficulty finding resources to pay fees should visit the Financial Aid website at for information on fee waivers, grants and student loans.

California College Promise Grant (CCPG) pays enrollment fees ONLY. Students with a CCPG must pay the required health fee, College Service Charge and materials fees or you will be dropped from your classes.

If you think the Financial Aid Office should have posted your CCPG to your account but it is not showing on your MyGWC, contact the Financial Aid Office immediately. If it has not been posted, please pay the total balance due to avoid being dropped. If the total balance is paid, you will receive a refund for the per unit charge once the CCPG is posted to your registration account.

Scholarships: If you will be receiving a scholarship to help pay for your tuition, please contact the Admissions & Records immediately after you register to avoid being dropped, 714) 895-8306.  You may also need to contact the Financial Aid office with your outside scholarship information so you can arrange for payment to be made to Golden West College.

Third Party Payments: If your tuition is going to be paid by a Third Party, i.e. Boeing, CA Department of Rehabilitation, Vocation Rehab or Tuition Assistance, once you have registered in classes, please submit your paperwork to the Admissions & Records Office immediately to avoid being dropped for non-payment. 714) 895-8306.

Veterans: If you are receiving Chapter 33 Post 9/11 or Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment educational benefits, please contact Veterans Services immediately after registering and prior to payment. You may be eligible to have some or all of your fees deferred.

The Admissions & Records Office is located on the first floor of the Student Services Center

Tuition Payment Plan: Golden West College has made available a payment plan administered by CashNet. This is a financing alternative if you cannot cover the entire amount of your GWC registration fees at the time of registration. The payment plan is available for students owing $150 or more for the current registration term. This payment plan requires a student to have a personal checking account. For more information visit: . You MUST complete signing up for Tuition Pay by 12 p.m. (noon) of the scheduled drop day to ensure that you are not dropped from classes. Your Tuition Pay contract must equal the amount of registration fees assessed for your enrollment.

Late Payment Agreement: Students who owe less than $150.00 for a semester or session, and have difficulty paying the balance prior to the payment deadline, may submit a Late Payment Agreement to the Admissions & Records Office for consideration. Call (714) 895-8121 for further details.

Refund Policy

To Be Eligible for a Refund: Students must officially withdraw from classes by the refund deadline (Refer to the Student Class Program/Web Schedule Bill on the Student tab of the MyGWC portal page). It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from classes and to verify all withdrawals. An instructor may drop students for non-attendance. Instructors are not responsible for making sure drops are made by the refund deadline. If the student has not been dropped from the class by the instructor, the student is responsible for withdrawing from the class by the refund deadline. Students who are officially enrolled in a class after the refund deadline will not be eligible for a refund. There are no exceptions.

Refund Processing: Refunds will be automatically processed every week beginning the first week of registration of the semester in which the fees were paid and each week thereafter until the end of the term. Official withdrawals made in accordance with the refund policy and by the withdrawal deadline will generate a credit balance on the student’s account.

Online Credit Card Payment Refunds: Registration fee payments made by credit card through MyGWC will be refunded to the same credit card used for payment. Allow 6-10 business days for the refund to post. If the Credit Card used to pay fees is no longer valid, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Admissions & Records once the credit has been posted to the student’s account and prior to the refund being processed. The refund will be converted to a check refund upon proper notification.

All requests for review of account summary must be made within the one-year grace period from the semester in which the fees were assessed. Such petitions are subject to review.

In Person Payment Refunds: Fee payments paid in person, by cash, check, money order or credit card, will be refunded through Bank Mobile as either a check, mailed to the mailing address Admissions and Records has on file, direct deposit to an existing bank account or to a Bank Mobile account depending on the refund choice made by the student. It is the responsibility of the student to maintain correct and up-to-date address information. Addresses can be updated on MyGWC, under the Student Tab, and then click on Banner Self Service.

*Refund vendor subject to change during catalog year.

Important: Payments made using multiple payment methods (online credit card payments and cash, check or money order) during the current registration period will be refunded to the credit card used for online payments.

Cancelled Classes: If Golden West College cancels a class, registration fees for that class will be refunded. If you purchased a parking decal, it must be returned to the Admissions & Records within two weeks of the class cancellation date.

Returned Checks: Any check returned unpaid (stop payment or insufficient funds) does not constitute automatic withdrawal from class. A check returned from the bank for any reason is subject to a $25 service charge. A hold will be placed on student records for any financial obligation, until the obligation is cleared.