Golden West College Catalog header

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office (FAO) administers all Federal and State financial aid programs available to GWC students.  This includes grants, fee waivers, loans, and on-campus work opportunities. The FAO’s goal is to assist students and their parents in paying for educational costs (which includes reasonable living costs) by using the U.S. Department of Education methodology to evaluate the student’s or student’s family’s ability to pay these costs and distributing limited financial aid resources in an equitable manner.

All students who are U.S. citizens or legal residents should apply for financial aid even if they think that they will not qualify. Because many different types of aid exist with differing qualifications, only a financial aid staff member can really determine what types and how much aid a student qualifies for. Often those who think they will receive nothing, qualify for something.

Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Golden West College may not have enough of certain funds to award all eligible students, so students are highly encouraged to file their applications early (January or February for the following fall semester). Another reason to file your application before March is to ensure that you meet the state priority filing deadline for Cal Grant (March 2nd). You may apply for financial aid after March 2nd and through the year for which you want to receive aid, however those who apply later will miss these early filing opportunities and will also wait longer for their financial aid application to be reviewed.

It is up to the student to make the effort to learn where, when and how to apply for financial aid. It is important for the student to understand that they are responsible for meeting all deadlines and requirements. The more you plan ahead, the better your opportunities. The Golden West Financial Aid Staff is available to assist applicants in completing the process successfully. The GWC Financial Aid website (click Financial Aid under the Student Services tab at (opens new window)) is an additional resource for prospective and current applicants to learn more about various financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

You May Be Eligible For Financial Aid If You:

Go to (opens new window) and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and include the Golden West College federal code: 001206.

  • Are determined to have financial need based upon your FAFSA data and the Financial Aid Office review.
  • Are a United States citizen or a permanent resident or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Are an undergraduate student enrolled in an eligible program at Golden West College.
  • Do not owe a refund on any grant received at any post-secondary institution and are not in default on any student loan.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the GWC Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

You May Also Be Asked To Submit Some Or All Of The Following:

  • A signed copy of your IRS tax transcript, or Income Certification if you did not file.
  • A signed copy of your parent’s IRS tax transcript, or Income Certification if they did not file.
  • Untaxed Income Verification.
  • For men, proof of selective service registration.
  • Any other information necessary, as requested by the Financial Aid Office.

For a comprehensive overview of applying for and receiving financial aid at Golden West College, visit the GWC financial aid website (click Financial Aid under the Student Services tab at (opens new window)).

Copyright © 2016 Golden West College 15744 Goldenwest Street, Huntington Beach, CA 92647 T: 714-892-7711 TDD: 714-895-8350. All rights reserved.