Esthetics Program Overview
Golden West College offers a license program in Esthetics. Golden West College has offered this program for over 40 years, and the program’s reputation is highly recognized in the salon industry throughout Southern California. The program is designed to prepare the student for a career in skin care and will cover bone structure, chemistry of products, skin analysis, use of packs and masks, electric modalities, corrected makeup, and correct use of products. This program is required to qualify for licensing through the State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology. A student must achieve a “C” or better for the entire program in order to receive their Certification of Specialization.
Esthetics is a 600-hour program, and consists of two 9-week sessions offered in January and August. The program offers full time day classes only, Monday through Friday – 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. To begin you are required to register for COSM G071, Esthetics, Level I (9 units). Upon successful completion of Level I, students will enroll mid-term in COSM G072, Esthetics, Level II (9 units) for completion of the program.
Eighteen (18) units are earned with completion of the Esthetics Program, and you must complete both levels consecutively. Enrollment in the program requires continuous attendance for the total number of program hours to become eligible for the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology examination. Students who complete this course can apply these 18 units toward an Associates of Arts degree. We recommend that you meet with a counselor to assist you in obtaining your degree.
To register for the program you must first submit an application for enrollment to Golden West College (on-line at www.goldenwestcollege.edu). When your application is approved, you will be given an appointment to go on line to register for courses. If the class is full, you can come to class on the first day to petition for enrollment. Vacant seats are filled by a lottery-type system. There is no waiting list. If an enrolled student is not present at 8:00 am on the first day when roll is called they will be dropped from the class and the seat will be given to a petitioner (no exceptions). Enrolled students will be required to purchase the Esthetics Kit on the first day of instruction. This kit has all the materials required for the program.
For students having difficulty enrolling in the program, we recommend that you take other classes at Golden West College. This will provide you with “continuing student” status and you will receive an earlier registration appointment over new students.
We do not accept previous (transfer) hours from other esthetics programs.
EXPENSES (these expenses are subject to change and in some instances are approximate):
- Tuition – $46 per unit for California residents. International and out-of-state students need to check with Admissions and Records for tuition expenses.
- Kit – Esthetics Kit is approximately $1,125.00. Kits and textbooks are not available until your enrollment has been verified. Once enrollment has been verified by the instructor on the first day of class, students will be sent the Golden West College Student Bookstore to purchase the kit and textbooks. You must purchase a kit in order to participate in the program. Once the kit has been opened it is considered used and no refund will be made if student chooses to drop out of the program. Payment can be made by cash, credit card, or check (payable to Golden West College).
- Textbooks – available at the Golden West College Student Bookstore for approximately $250.00.
- Uniform – approximately $100.00 to $150.00. Uniform information and requirements will be discussed on the first day of instruction. You will be expected to have uniforms by the end of the first week of class.
- Parking Permit - $30.00 per semester.
- Health Fee and College Services Charge – approximately $31.00 per semester.
- Board Exam kit – $95.00. Students will be required to purchase the exam kit for the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology licensing exam prior to completion of the Esthetics program.
- State Board Examination and Initial License Fee – $124.00 (includes $9.00 pre-application fee). Students in good standing will have the opportunity to pre-apply for state exam and license when they have completed 450 hours. Students who do not pre-apply will submit application to the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology upon completion of the 600 hours ($115.00).
Financial aid is available for the Esthetics Program. Please refer to the “Student Success Services” section of your schedule for information on the Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS), Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), and Re-Entry/Cal WORKs. You can also find this infor-mation at www.goldenwestcollege.edu.
Thank you for your interest in the Esthetics Program at Golden West College. We look forward to meeting you and seeing you in our program. Should you have any further questions, please e-mail email@example.com.