Appointment Phone Number: 714-895-8799

Counseling Office Hours

Monday through

Counseling Office Location:
Administration Building, adjacent to Admissions and Records [Campus Map]

Frequently Asked Questions
Follow us on Facebook
New Student Orientation
Career Center
Transfer Center
Financial Aid
Counselor Breakfast Info
Teacher Education [PDF]

join Our Email List

The Western Sun - The Newspaper of Golden West College

Associate Degree for Transfer
Associate Degree for Transfer

Salary Surfer
Salary Surfer

For Rent Textbooks - Save 50% or More on Textbooks

Search jobs posted at our school!

Apple Store for Education

Free Newsletter - Student Health 101

Counseling Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to view the answer.

Getting Started

1. I'm a new student to GWC. How do I enroll and register for classes?

In order to register at Golden West College you need to follow these steps:

(A) Submit an application online at www.cccapply.org and select Golden West College as the institution. If you choose this option, please remember to submit your signature page to complete the process.

(B) Complete Assessment testing if needed. You should complete assessment testing in math and English to determine appropriate levels of enrollment in these and other courses. Appointments for assessment testing can be made in person at the Assessment Center in Business Room 109 or by calling 714-895-8388. Visit the Assessment Center website at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/assessment/index.html for links to information about the testing schedule, sample tests, and challenge procedures. You can transfer your scores from other institutions if the assessment test was taken within the last two years.  If you have already successfully completed a math or English course at another regionally accredited institution you may not be required to take the assessment tests.

(C) Complete an Online Orientation Session (except for SOAR students). Online Orientation sessions must be completed prior to the start of the term. These sessions assist students with understanding the campus policies, course requirements, and first-semester course selection. Log in to www.mygwc.com to access the Online Orientation under the "Student" tab.  Students transferring to GWC with 15 or more semester units from another regionally accredited institution are exempt from completing the online orientation.

(D) Apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need to obtain a PIN number for this to be completed online. You can link from the FAFSA site or visit www.pin.ed.gov.  For additional information on Financial Aid, visit www.goldenwestcollege.edu/fao. You will likely need to complete your file prior to an award letter being issued. This often includes verification of your (and parents if under 24) tax records, copies of W2 forms, Independent/Dependent Student Verification form, and projected Educational Plan. Scholarships are also available to continuing Golden West College students. Applications are available in January for the following academic year. Generally, students need at least 12 units earned at Golden West College and a GPA of 2.0.
Based on your circumstances, you may also qualify for EOPS (http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/eops) and CalWorks (http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/calworks) assistance. Check with their offices to determine eligibility.

(E) Register for courses on your assigned registration date. You can check the online searchable schedule of classes for current enrollments, and alternate choices for closed courses. Visit https://bannerss.cccd.edu:4450/pls/PROD/pw_pub_sched.p_search.

View details about the wait list process at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/waitlist.html

2. I'm not a high school graduate and do not have my high school equivalency/GED. May I still take courses?

Anyone 18 years or older and who can profit from instruction qualifies for admission. If under age 18, you will qualify for admission if you have satisfied one of the following:

(A) Graduated from high school
(B) Passed the California High School of Proficiency Test or equivalent
(C) Completed the 10th grade and received permission from your high school (see Question 3)

3. I'm a high school student interested in taking a course at GWC, how do I proceed?

In accordance with California Education Code Section 48800, 48800.5, and 76001, kindergarten through grade 12 students (K-12) may be eligible to enroll in courses at Golden West College for advanced-level study in instructional or vocational areas not available at their school. The school and the college will determine who may enroll based on their judgment of the applicant's ability to profit from instruction. The college has the right and responsibility to restrict enrollment for reasons of health and safety, appropriateness of the course, preparedness of the student, college policy, state law and space availability. Note: In accordance with SB338, enrollment in physical education courses have been restricted or excluded. Also, the college has determined that online courses are not appropriate for K-12 students, consequently requests to enroll in online or online hybrid courses will be denied.

Students Who Have Completed the 10th Grade: Students enrolled in the 11th or 12th grade may enroll in courses at Golden West College if they meet the following criteria:

A. The student must be at least a minimum day student at his/her school (not applicable for summer classes).  B. The course(s) requested is an advanced academic or vocational experience and not available at the student's regular school. (PE courses are restricted.)  C. The student meets the prerequisite for the course. D. The student has the permission of his/her parent. E. The student has the permission of his/her high school principal or designee with a recommendation of the specific course or courses to be taken. F. If the student is home schooled, he/she must provide verification that the home school program is recognized and approved by the county department of education.

Students Who Have Not Completed the 10th Grade: Students who have not completed the 10th grade may be accepted for enrollment at Golden West College if they meet the following criteria:

A. The course(s) requested is an advanced academic or vocational experience (college level) and not available at the student's regular school.  B. The student meets the prerequisite for the course requested. C. The student has the permission of his/her parent.  D. The student shows proof of his/her ability to perform at a college level by either: a. Providing a recommendation from his/her principal or designee that includes a transcript or an assessment of the student's academic performance at the school: or, b. If the student is home schooled, completing the GWC assessment process and earning appropriate college level scores on the English, Reading and Math placement tests.  E. The student must be a minimum day student at their school (not applicable for summer classes).  F. The student and their parent must meet with the Administrative Director of Enrollment Services or his/her designee for acceptance upon completion of the steps listed above. (Call (714) 895-8121 for an appointment).  G. If approved, the student must obtain approval from the instructor of the course and the appropriate division dean.
High School students interested in attending Golden West College under the Special Part-time Program must submit a completed admissions application to the Admissions Office http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/forms_pdf/application.pdf  along with a Special Part-time Permission Form http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/forms_pdf
signed by both the high school principal and the parent/guardian.

Upon receiving all approvals, the student will be allowed to register during the In-Person registration period provided space is available in the course. The college gives priority to regular college students. Admission of a K-12th grade student cannot displace a college level student.

4. Do I need SAT scores to attend a community college?

No, SAT scores are not needed to attend a community college.

5. I'm not satisfied with my assessment results, what can I do?

You have the right to challenge your placement results. For more information concerning the challenge process, you may visit http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/assessment/challenge.html or contact the GWC Assessment Center at 714-895-8388.

6. What are my options for fulfilling my orientation requirement, including the nursing orientation?

Refer to Question 1(C) in this section, "GETTING STARTED". General orientations are conducted online. Please log in to www.mygwc.com to access the Online Orientation under the "Student" tab. If you are a SOAR student (recent high school graduate from a GWC feeder school) you are required to attend a 2 1/2 hour in-person orientation. All SOAR students receive detailed information about your in-person orientation by mail from the Counseling Center.

The Online Nursing Orientation may be accessed at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/nursing/orientation

7. I'm in the military and stationed overseas. How can I get started taking an online class?

Submit an application online at www.cccapply.org and select Golden West College as the institution. Be sure to include your electronic signature. If you have attended other colleges and earned at least 15 units or you intend to register for less than 6 units, you may be exempt from participating in a new student orientation. If you do not have 15 units of prior college credit and wish to enroll for more than 6 units, you may complete your new student orientation online. Please log-in to www.mygwc.com to access the Online Orientation under "Student" tab. You will receive information on how to access the Online Orientation via mail and via e-mail. To register for a course with a math or English prerequisite (or to take a math or English course) you must show evidence of satisfying that prerequisite, or wait to take the course once you return home and can take the math and/or English placement tests.

8. Can I attend more than one community college at a time?

Yes, students who attend more than one community college simultaneously should consult with a Counselor for guidance throughout their program of study. Universities articulate General Education courses, as well as lower division major requirements on a college by college basis. Caution should be exercised so as not to duplicate coursework or miss requirements.

9. Will I be allowed to continue attending a Community College after completing a degree?

You may continue taking courses at the community college after completing any level of degree. Bear in mind there are transfer restrictions for those students earning more than 90 semester units combined from a two-year and a four-year college or university. See your counselor if you fall into this category. Also be aware there are limitations on the amount of financial aid a student may qualify for if they already possess a bachelor’s degree or higher.

10. What is eCounseling? What services are provided?

eCounseling is an online advising tool that enables student's access to a counselor electronically. eCounseling counselors can answer general questions that do not require accessing transcripts. See the eCounseling link by clicking here.

Registering for Classes

1. What are the minimum and maximum number of units I can take?

During the Fall and Spring, students may take as few as 0.18 units or as many as 19. The maximum number of units in summer is 9. Students wishing to exceed the maximums must appeal in Admissions and Records

2. What is the advantage of taking a course for P/NP (Pass or No Pass)?

Your Communication, Writing, and Critical Thinking and transferable Math courses must be taken for a letter grade. It is also recommended that you do the same for all coursework in your major. P/NP is an option to consider when a course is not applicable to your degree objective. If you are not sure, always consult a Counselor.

3. I'm trying to register for a class and it says I'm not eligible. What can I do?

This generally means you have not satisfied the prerequisite for the course, or the class is already closed.  You have the right to challenge a prerequisite.  For more information concerning the challenge process, you may visit http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/assessment/challenge.html or contact the GWC Assessment Center at 714-895-8388.

If the class is closed and it is prior to the start of the semester, please refer to the new wait list process at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/waitlist.html.  If the semester has started you will need to attend the first class session and ask the instructor for permission to add the course. If space is available, the instructor may provide you with an Instructor Permission Code (IPC) that will allow you to enroll in the course with Admissions and Records.

FAQ’s and other solutions may be found at the myGWC Help Desk  http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/helpdesk/

4. I'm having difficulty logging into MyGWC. Where do I go?

This may happen if you have entered the wrong user name and password. If you are unsuccessful logging in or you have been locked-out, you must submit an electronic request to re-set your username and password. To submit this request, simply click on Technical Support at the bottom of the page where you are given the message that you cannot log in and forward your request by submitting your personal information. You will receive an email with your new username and password (please allow 24 hours for this process).

5. I have a hold on my registration, what should I do?

There are many reasons why a hold may be placed on your record. You may owe unpaid fees, you may owe a parking ticket fee, you may have an outstanding account at the library, you may have an academic hold, or if you are a new student, you may need to complete the matriculation process before your holds are cleared. If you log in to www.mygwc.com and see that you have a hold, please call the number that is provided next to your hold so you can obtain information on how to remove it.

Completing Requirements

1. I'm interested in finding out more information about Nursing.

Please visit the nursing website regularly for updates at:  http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/nursing/.  We accept applications for the Basic Associate Degree in Nursing (RN) Program from students who have completed the prerequisite coursework and meet eligibility requirements for the program.  For details on eligibility and selection requirements, you should view the online nursing orientation at: http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/nursing/orientation/index.html

You will need to complete the following prerequisite courses or the equivalent prior to submitting an application to the RN program:
Biology G220 (Formerly Biology 170) – Human Anatomy, Biology G225 (Formerly Biology 175) – Human Physiology, Biology G210 – Microbiology, and English G100 – Freshman Composition.

In order to submit an application to the Nursing Program, you must have proof of high school graduation or equivalent, you must have a minimum "C" grade in all prerequisite coursework and an overall GPA of 2.0 or better.  *There is a five year recency on the three prerequisite biology courses.  All other general education coursework for the degree does not have an expiration date. More information on the application process can be found at: http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/nursing/eligibility.html.

Additional General Education coursework required for the Associate Degree in Nursing: 

Math G160 Statistics
Biology G200 Pharmacology - Med & Drugs
Communication Studies G110 Public Speaking
Psychology G118 Life Span Developmental Psychology
Sociology G100 Introduction to Sociology
English G110
(These additional courses do not need to be completed prior to application)

Additionally, all students must complete an acceptable score on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) after acceptance into the program and prior to starting the nursing coursework. More information on this test is available online at www.atitesting.com.

Please note that there are many more applicants than spaces available each application cycle. GWC accepts applications one time per academic year, and once admitted, the nursing program is two years in length.  Please visit the website regularly for updated information on application deadlines.  Based on the program's impacted status, it is not possible determine an exact timeframe from start to end of program, as that depends on your ability to enroll in prerequisites and how long it takes to actually gain acceptance to the program. Successful completion of the nursing program awards the Associate Degree in Nursing, as well as eligibility for the NCLEX to obtain your license.

Due to the high number of inquiries about our nursing program, evaluation of equivalent coursework from other colleges is not conducted until a student applies to the Nursing Program. Online evaluations are not available. Please visit the catalog and website for further details about course content and requirements.

The nursing application and selection process is a complicated one. You are required to complete the Nursing Orientation online at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/nursing/orientation before making an appointment with a nursing counselor.

2. What is Certification of General Education?

Full General Education Certification will be granted if all CSU or IGETC general education coursework was completed prior to transfer. Students may also apply for Partial CSU General Education Certification or IGETC After Transfer. The notation of certification is listed on official transcripts, and is included on the official transcript request form. You can request an official set of transcripts to be sent to your university with the certification notation by completing the Transcript Request Form at http://www.gwc.info/admissions/transcripts.html.

Please be sure to select the box on the right requesting certification for either the CSU (formerly AA Option II) or IGETC (formerly AA Option III) based on the plan you completed. Submit the form to the Admissions and Records office for processing.

3. Where can I find the requirements for an Associate Degree?

You can view the requirements to receive an Associate degree at http://goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/graduation/aa.html. A list of GWC majors and their respective course requirements may be found at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/graduation/majors.html . It is advised that you meet with a counselor to discuss your academic goals and complete a Student Education Plan (SEP) to help you facilitate this process. Please call the Counseling Center at 714-895-8119 to schedule a one-hour appointment.

4. Can you tell me what I have left for my certificate/AA/transfer requirements?

If you would like know what courses you have left in order to complete your academic goal, please make an appointment to see one of our academic counselors. We cannot discuss student information without proof of identification due to confidentiality restrictions set forth in federal law under the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA). Please call the Counseling Center at 714-895-8119 to make an appointment and make sure on the day of your appointment that you bring your student ID as well as all of your transcripts from all schools that you have attended if we do not have them on file.

5. How do I know if a class transfers? What courses should I take if I want to transfer?

All courses numbered 100 or higher transfer to the CSU system and some also transfer to the UC.   You can verify this information by looking at our class schedule and/or college catalog, checking the ASSIST website at www.assist.org, or by asking one of our academic counselors. You can access the class schedule and catalog by going to our website at www.goldenwestcollege.edu or you can see our counselors in the Counseling Center by making an appointment or during our walk-in hours.

If you are planning to transfer, then you should be focusing on coursework leading to transfer to the university that you want to attend. If you are interested in attending the CSU campus, then you should follow the coursework in General Education - CSU Transfer.

You can find this online at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/graduation/certificate_csu.html.  This will meet general education coursework at the lower-division level for any of the CSU Campuses.  Additionally, you will need to complete your entry / lower-division major coursework to prepare for study at the junior and senior level at the university.
If you are planning to transfer to a UC campus, or undecided about which campus to transfer to, then you should be following coursework listed in IGETC UC-CSU General Education for Transfer. See http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/graduation/certificate_igetc.html for a full list of IGETC requirements.  This works for nearly all majors at the UC.  Again, you will need to complete lower-division major requirements at the community college prior to transfer.

All the transfer requirements can be found on the ASSIST website at www.assist.org. You can use ASSIST to explore majors and other requirements at various UC and CSU campuses. Please check ASSIST for the most up to date general education and major requirements lists. For major requirements, select "Explore Transfer Information" and from the drop-down menu, select Golden West College, then the campus you wish to attend and your major. A listing of requirements for that campus will be displayed.

6. I think I might want to be a teacher. What classes should I take?

Requirements for teaching vary greatly depending on what level you want to teach and where you plan to transfer. It is important to make an appointment to see a counselor to complete an educational plan early in your education. Before you meet with a counselor, please review the powerpoint on becoming a teacher. Click here for a presenation on how to become a teacher.

What Else?

1. I didn't do as well as I had hoped my first couple of semesters, but I'm serious now and ready to commit to school. What can I do to get back on track?

Please refer to the following policies regarding probation and disqualification. Also, please be sure your contact information (including mail and phone number) are current with the Admissions and Records office. Student notifications of probation and/or disqualification are mailed about four weeks after the end of each regular term. A student shall be placed on probation whenever he or she meets one or both of the two conditions listed below:

Academic Probation
Has attempted at least 12 semester units at Golden West College and has a grade point average of less than 2.0 in the most recent semester completed, or has a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 in all units attempted.

Progress Probation
Has attempted at least 12 semester units at Golden West College and the percentage of units per semester or overall in which entries of "W", "I" and "NP" are recorded reaches or exceeds 50 percent.
All probationary students shall be notified of their status and counseling services will be made available.

A student at Golden West College who is on academic and/or progress probation shall be disqualified whenever he or she meets one or both of the two conditions listed below:

Academic Disqualification: Any student on academic probation for two consecutive semesters shall be academically disqualified.

Progress Disqualification: Any student who is on progress probation for two consecutive semesters shall be disqualified for lack of satisfactory progress.
Students on Academic and/or Progress Disqualification for the first time are required to complete the Online Disqualification Workshop and will be restricted to 7 units. You are also encouraged to meet with a counselor to discuss strategies for improving student success.  Students on Academic and/or Progress Disqualification a second time are required to sit out the subsequent semester, but can return following their sit out. Upon return students are required to complete the Online Disqualification Workshop and will be restricted to 7 units.  You can access the tutorial online at www.goldenwestcollege.edu/counseling/probation.

A student on probation or disqualification at Golden West College, Orange Coast College or Coastline College shall be on probation at any District college.

Please contact the Counseling Center at (714) 895-8119 if you on are a registration hold due to Academic Disqualification.

2. I earned a "D" or "F" in a class, may I retake it? If so, how many times?

Courses in which you previously earned a "D" or "F" grade can be repeated once to improve the grade.  A second repeat requires an appeal through Admissions & Records. Once a "C" grade or better is earned, you may petition to have the first grade (and second, if applicable) excluded from the computation of your GPA. The original grade will always be visible and will never be erased from your transcript, but an "E" will appear next to the original grade indicating the grade has been excluded from your GPA.
There is also a process for eliminating up to two semesters of coursework from your GPA without having to repeat all the courses – this process is called Academic Renewal and can be processed when your past coursework is not reflective of your current abilities and the courses you earned a substandard grade in (D or F) are not fulfilling requirements towards your current educational objective.

 At GWC, this can be petitioned after completion of one year and 12 units of coursework with a GPA of 2.0 or greater. Academic Renewal petitions are available in Admissions and Records.  More detailed information on Academic Renewal can be found at: http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/disqualify.html

3. I have a degree from another country. May I use these courses to complete my degree in the US? What if I changed my major?

Regardless of what post-secondary courses you completed out-of-country, it is generally advisable to have your records evaluated.  In order to determine if you can use courses from another country to satisfy US requirements your academic records must be officially translated into English if they were not originally issued in English and you should submit your translated records, along with other necessary documentation, to an independent credentials evaluations service.  There are several credential evaluation services to choose from, however, we recommend International Education Research Foundation (IERF, http://www.ierf.org). Before submitting your academic records for evaluation you should make an appointment to see one of our academic counselors to discuss whether or not it is advisable to request a credential evaluation. To make an appointment to discuss out-of-country academic records contact the Counseling Center at 714-895-8119.

4. How do I drop a class?

Students may drop a class up to the final drop date online at www.MyGWC.com or in person with the Admissions and Records office. Please view detailed withdrawal information at http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/withdrawals.html

5. How many units should I take?

To be considered a full-time student, you must enroll in at least 12 units per semester. A unit is the amount of credit you earn for a class. This varies from course to course. College work is measured in terms of the "credit unit". In a lecture course, a college unit is normally defined as one hour of lecture and two hours of homework per week. In a laboratory course, three hours in the classroom per week with no outside work equals one unit of work.
For every one hour of classroom time, allow two hours of outside homework time.  

  • 3-unit class = 3 hours of classroom time + 6 hours of homework time = 9 hours total time per week.
  • Full-time load is 12 units = approximately 12 hours of classroom time + 24 hours of homework time = 36 hours of total time per week.    

Guidelines for how many units to take:

  • If you WORK 40 hours per week, TAKE NO MORE THAN 6 units
  • If you WORK 30 hours per week, TAKE NO MORE THAN 9 units
  • If you WORK 20 hours per week, TAKE NO MORE THAN 12 units
  • For VETERAN'S benefits: Please check with the Veterans Services for requirements. http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/veterans/   
  • For ATHLETIC eligibility: Take at least 12 units during season of sport
  • To be FULL-TIME student: Take at least 12 units
International students: Take at least 12 units

Paying for School

1. I just registered for my classes, when are fees due? How can I pay them?

You have 48-hours after you register to pay your fees. You can pay for them using your credit card at www.mygwc.com. You may also pay your fees in-person in Admissions and Records (by cash, credit or debit, or by check).  Students with a BOG Fee Waiver must still pay the required health fee, College Service Charge and materials fees or you will be dropped from your classes if you register prior to the start of the semester.

2. How do I apply for financial aid?

Apply for Federal Financial Aid as early as possible beginning in January of each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need to obtain a PIN number for this to be completed online. You can link from the FAFSA site or visit www.pin.ed.gov. For additional information on Financial Aid, visit www.goldenwestcollege.edu/fao. You will likely need to complete your file prior to an award letter being issued. This often includes verification of your (and parents if under 24) tax records, copies of W2 forms, Independent/Dependent Student Verification form, and projected Educational Plan.

3. Where can I find out about scholarships?

GWC Scholarship Applications are available from November-January on the Financial Aid website at www.goldenwestcollege.edu/fao. Numerous scholarships are available to students attending Golden West College. Listed below are the minimum qualifications needed to apply for Golden West College Scholarships.

  • You must have completed at least 12 units at Golden West College prior to the first day of the Spring semester.
  • You must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (gpa) of 2.00 (subject to change).
  • You must be enrolled in and complete at least 6.0 units during the Spring semester.
  • You must plan to enroll in a minimum of 6.0 units at a college or university in the Fall semester. Some awards may not be transferable.
  • You must complete a golden West College Scholarship Application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office. Be sure to indicate any unique financial need you might have that makes you deserving of scholarship assistance.

*Scholarship funding is limited and meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee that you will receive a scholarship. By meeting the minimum criteria listed above, you will be considered for awards that mandate "GWC General Criteria" for initial eligibility.
**Some awards are awarded by various departments on campus (Arts & Letters, Nursing, Technology, Science, etc.). Based upon your major area, your application will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review if you qualify. Individual departments have their own criteria and committees that evaluate each applicant.
Scholarships are also available to continuing Golden West College students. Applications are available in January for the following academic year. Generally, students need at least 12 units earned at Golden West College and a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
Other scholarship websites include www.fastweb.com, www.collegenet.com, and www.finaid.org. Another helpful website for students looking for ways to pay for school is www.icanaffordcollege.com.

4. I am an unemployed single parent. Are there any programs to assist with paying for fees and books?

You may be eligible to participate in the following programs. Please contact each office to obtain eligibility information.

Re-Entry/CalWORKs Center 
714-895-8111 www.goldenwestcollege.edu/calworks
The Re-Entry/CalWORKs Programs offer specialized support services to parents receiving CalWORKs/TANF/GAIN benefits for themselves to ensure a smooth transition into the college environment. Support services consist of individualized counseling, career assessment, transportation assistant, book bag and school supplies, free student success workshops, job development assistance, resume preparation and job interviewing skills, and may also include child care assistance and work-study opportunities, if funding is available.

EOP/S & C.A.R.E.
714-895-8768 www.goldenwestcollege.edu/eops
Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOP/S) and Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (C.A.R.E.) are designed to assist students from low-income and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. Service includes counseling and guidance, program advisement, tutoring, grants, and transfer assistance.

Finishing Up

1. The courses I need to complete my certificate have not been offered for the last two semesters. What should I do?

You should make an appointment with the Dean of the department to determine an approved course substitution. You will need to complete a Substitution Agreement Form with the Dean before you enroll in the alternate course.

2. What do I need to do to receive my certificate/associate degree?

Associate in Arts Degrees and Certificates are not automatically awarded when the student completes the requirements. The student must file a petition in person in the Admissions and Records Office according to the following schedule:

Graduation Filing Period
Spring February 1 - April 1
Summer July 1 - August 1
Fall September 1 - November 1

Associate in Arts degrees are awarded only after spring graduation, but the graduation date is posted on the student's transcript after the graduation period in which the Associate in Arts degree is earned.

Certificate of Achievement application may be made during the semester of completion. Filing deadlines are the same as for graduation, above.

3. How do I obtain my transcripts?

Please visit the Admissions and Records transcript request link at:  http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/transcripts.html 
There are three ways in which you can order your official Golden West College transcript:

Option 1: Internet Request
Golden West College has partnered with Credentials Inc. to accept transcript orders via the Internet through a secured site. TranscriptsPlus® will facilitate your request 24 hours per day, 365 days per year for a minimal service charge.

• To use this service, you may go to the following webpage http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/transcripts.html or follow this link: https://www.credentials-inc.com/tplus/?ALUMTRO001206

• Check on the status of your order by referencing the following link:

Option 2: Via Mail
If you wish to request your transcript by mail, you may fill in the "Transcript Request Form" available online (http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/forms_pdf/transcript_request.pdf)

Option 3: In Person
You may request your transcripts in person at the GWC Records counter. PHOTO IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED TO ORDER TRANSCRIPTS. Please allow three (3) business days to process your request. "Rush" services are available, please see below for details.

Transcript Fees
The first two requests for transcripts and/or verifications of enrollment are free of charge (note: this service is not available through the TranscriptsPlus® service).
A $3.00 processing fee is charged for regular processing of each additional transcript.
We provide a special handling service for an additional $5.00 per copy ($8.00 total per copy). This guarantees your request will be processed by 11:00 a.m. the next business day. If you are mailing your request and chose to pay the special handling charge, please write "RUSH" on the outside of the envelope.