Awards & Achievements
Faculty members have been recognized both locally and statewide for their excellent teaching and other services to students and the community.
- Paul Kareem Tayyar, a three-time Pushcart Prize nominee, has published poems and stories in a variety of journals including Ibbetson St., The Santa Monica Review, Into the Teeth of the Wind, and HazMat Review. His first book, Everyday Magic was published in 2007. In 2009, he published Scenes From A Good Life and Postmark Atlantis. His book Follow the Sun: Poems, Stories, and Reflections, was released in 2010 and Footsteps of the Silver King in 2012.
- In 2003, Charles Whitchurch received both the Hayward Award for Excellence in Education and the Golden West College Teacher of the Year award. [read more...]
- Dibakar Barua's poetry collection called The Womb of Memory was published in 2008 by World Parade Books. In addition, Dr. Barua's short stories have appeared in Puerto del Sol, Short Story International, and West/Word; his scholarly articles have appeared in Language and Style and Massachusetts Studies in English.
In 2003, Dibakar Barua received the John W. Rice Diversity Award from the Chancellor’s Office in Sacramento. [read more...]
In 2006, Dibakar Barua received the Hayward Award for Excellence in Education.
- In 2004, Abraham Tarango received the Golden West College Teacher of the Year award.
- Ryane Nicole Jones recently attended the Bread Loaf Writer’s Conference in Sicily and has had her work published in the anthologies PaniK and On the Brink.
- English faculty members coordinate two important learning communities: the Honors Program and the Puente Program.