24 Hour Phone: (714) 895-8924
Emergency Numbers: (714) 895-8999 or Dial 911
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Do I have to buy a permit to park at GWC?
- Do I have to buy a permit if I ride a motorcycle or moped to school?
- If I already bought a permit for my car, do I have to buy another one for my motorcycle / moped?
- I attend weekend classes; do I need to purchase a parking permit?
- Where can I purchase a student parking permit?
- What if I don’t receive my permit in the mail?
- Where can visitors park?
- What does it cost to park in a metered stall?
- Does my GWC permit allow me to park in a meter without paying?
- I bought a permit, forgot to display it on my vehicle, and received a parking citation. What can I do?
- I received a citation and I don’t think it is fair. What can I do?
- What happens if my car is in the shop and my permit is on the bumper?
- I purchased a new vehicle. Do I have to buy a new permit?
- My permit stopped sticking. What do I do?
- Where can I buy a parking permit hanger to hang my permit from my rearview mirror?
- I am disabled and have a disabled placard from the DMV; do I also have to buy a permit?
- Where can I obtain a Gold Key Card?
- Where do I park for Cosmetology or skin care?
- I lost my permit. Will GWC replace it free of charge?
- I have other questions about parking. Where can I go to get them answered?
- What if the meter or dispenser is broken?
- Where can I park my bicycle?
- What do I do if I discover damage or theft to my vehicle?
- My car won’t start and I think the battery is dead will someone help me?
- I accidentally locked my keys in my vehicle. What should I do?
- My vehicle is disabled and I will need to leave it on campus overnight. What should I do?
- Does GWC offer an escort service?
- Proper display of a GWC parking permit
1. Do I have to buy a permit to park at GWC?
Yes. Parking permits are required Monday through Thursday 7:00 am – 10:00 pm and Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm. You can purchase a semester permit online or a daily permit from one of the five yellow dispensers in each lot. Or you may opt to use the meters for short term parking (Limited 2 Hrs).(back to top)
2. Do I have to buy a permit if I ride a motorcycle or moped to school?
Yes, all vehicles requiring registration with DMV must purchase permits to park on campus. (back to top)
3. If I already bought a permit for my car, do I have to buy another one for my motorcycle / moped?
Yes, you will need to purchase another permit for your motorcycle/moped. Students owning a vehicle and a motorcycle can obtain one additional permit for half the semester cost. Current registration for both vehicles must be presented to the Public Safety Office. (back to top)
4. I attend weekend classes; do I need to purchase a parking permit?
No. Parking permits are not required for parking on the weekends, however all other parking regulations continue to be enforced. (back to top)
5. Where can I purchase a student parking permit?
All permits are purchased online and mailed to the address you provide. Unfortunately, they are not sold anywhere in person on campus. Please visit www.gwcpermit.com to pay with credit, or Admissions and Records to pay with cash or check. Please keep your receipt and print out your provided temporary permit. (back to top)
6. What if I don’t receive my permit in the mail?
You have 21 days from the order date to receive your permit in the mail. A temporary permit is provided when a semester permit is purchased. You are responsible for printing this out and displaying it visibly every single day. Failure to properly display this permit may result in a citation for which you will be held responsible for. If the temporary permit is about to expire and you still have not received your permit in the mail, contact the Public Safety Office immediately. Do not wait until the temporary permit expires to contact Public Safety. Public Safety has computers for you to purchase your permit and print your temporary permit. (back to top)
7. Where can visitors park?
Visitors can park in student stalls when they purchase a daily parking permit from one of the five dispensers in any lot. The permit must be placed face up on the dash to avoid citations. Meters accept quarters, dimes, and nickels, and are available for parking up to two hours. Free parking is available for 20 minutes only in the green painted stalls.
(back to top)
8. What does it cost to park in a metered stall?
Fifty cents an hour, with a two (2) hour max time limit. The meters accept nickels, dimes and quarters. (back to top)
9. Does my GWC permit allow me to park in a meter without paying?
No! Metered stalls are for visitors and casual short-term users of the campus. If you wish to use a metered stall, you must pay the meter.(back to top)
10. I bought a permit, forgot to display it on my vehicle, and received a parking citation. What can I do?
You must purchase a permit and have it properly displayed so as to be clearly visible with all numbers displayed on your vehicle at all times when you are parked on campus. You can either pay your citation or contest it via a written appeal within the allotted time frame. Detailed information can be located on the back of your citation. Per District policy of the Parking Rules and Regulations (Article IV Section 412) permits must be clearly and visibly displayed in the proper location. (back to top)
11. I received a citation and I don’t think it is fair. What can I do?
You may contest a citation through the appeal website www.gwcappeal.com. An Initial Review form must be filled out and submitted. Reviews will be evaluated according to campus rules and regulations along with the defense presented. Results are mailed to the address provided. Questions regarding citations, policy, and parking should be directed to the Public Safety Office during business hours.(back to top)
12. What happens if my car is in the shop and my permit is on the bumper?
You may obtain a temporary permit from Public Safety. Bring your driver’s license and a mechanic’s statement if your vehicle will be out of service for more than one day.
(back to top)
13. I purchased a new vehicle. Do I have to buy a new permit?
No. You may switch your permit to whichever vehicle you are driving that day. For permanent changes please notify Public Safety to update the information. (back to top)
14. My permit stopped sticking. What do I do?
Permits and windshields must be kept clean. Fingerprints, dirt, dust, and oil will stop the static cling reaction. Clean your permit and the windshield. If the permit still will not cling on, come in to the Public Safety Office BEFORE you are issued a citation. (back to top)
15. Where can I buy a parking permit hanger to hang my permit from my rearview mirror?
The campus bookstore sells plastic hangers by the cash registers. (back to top)
16. I am disabled and have a disabled placard from the DMV; do I also have to buy a permit?
No. Vehicles displaying valid DMV disabled placards may park on the GWC campus in marked handicapped spaces without displaying a GWC permit. (back to top)
17. Where can I obtain a Gold Key Card?
Gold Key Cards are for senior citizens and can be purchased at Community Services. These cards can be used as parking permits by displaying it so as to be clearly visible on the driver’s side of the dashboard. Community Services is located on the Gothard Street side of the campus or can be reached at (714) 895-8738. (back to top)
18. Where do I park for Cosmetology or skin care?
Cosmetology parking permits can be obtained from the Cosmetology Department. Cosmetology parking permits must be used in Aisle #6 of the Golden West parking lot. A parking permit must be placed in your vehicle prior to parking in aisle #6. Daily permits are also available from the mechanical dispensers in each lot, there are two located in the Golden West parking lot. (back to top)
19. I lost my permit. Will GWC replace it free of charge?
No. Your permit is considered personal property and you will have to purchase a replacement. You should report the lost permit to Public Safety as someone may find your permit and use it illegally. (back to top)
20. I have other questions about parking. Where can I go to get them answered?
Please contact the GWC Public Safety Department. We are located in the Health Science Building on the west side of campus by Math Science and the Learning Resource Center. Our phone number is (714) 895-8924, Monday through Thursday – 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.(back to top)
21. What if the meter or dispenser is broken?
You will need to find another in working condition and report the malfunction to Public Safety immediately. There are five permit dispensers in the parking lots – two in Golden West, one in Edinger, and two in Gothard. Please be sure to bring plenty of change and/or one dollar bills. The machines do not make change. Parking without filling a meter or without a permit puts you in violation of the Rules and Regulations.(back to top)
22. Where can I park my bicycle?
Bicycles (including motorized) must be parked in one of the many bicycle racks throughout campus. They may not be tethered, locked, or tied to poles, railings, or any structure other than a bike rack. Bike thefts are a common occurrence, please be sure you use a sturdy chain and lock.(back to top)
23. What do I do if I discover damage or theft to my vehicle?
Notify the Public Safety Department immediately for assistance. Do not move your vehicle or leave campus. (back to top)
24. My car won’t start and I think the battery is dead will someone help me?
Yes. Contact Public Safety, an officer can meet you at your vehicle for a battery assist. (back to top)
25. I accidentally locked my keys in my vehicle. What should I do?
Contact Public Safety. If you don’t have power windows & locks or side air bags an officer will assist you. (back to top)
26. My vehicle is disabled and I will need to leave it on campus overnight. What should I do?
Contact the Public Safety Department and they will provide an overnight parking authorization for your vehicle. (back to top)
27. Does GWC offer an escort service?
Yes. Contact Public Safety at (714) 895-8924, pick up a red emergency phone (which has a direct line to Public Safety), or come into the office and make arrangements to have an officer escort. Escorts are provided for your safety and are available 24 hours a day.
(back to top)
- Cling on permit – place in the lower left corner of the front windshield.
- Self-adhesive – Left rear (driver’s side) bumper, or suspended from the rearview mirror on a Bookstore purchased placard. .
- Motorcycles (mopeds) will have the permit affixed to the “left front fork”.
- Paper daily permit – Face up on driver side dashboard so all info is clearly visible.
- Make sure your permit is not hidden by the tint on your window, a sun shade, or other paperwork. (back to top)