We have some links below on experiencing different cultures and study abroad impact on different identities. We also encourage you to visit our Study Abroad Resource Room which has additional books and resources, or speak to an advisor in our office.
- “What’s Up with Culture?”
- Coping with culture shock:
- Go Overseas: https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/how-to-deal-with-culture-shock-while-studying-abroad
- Traveling with resiliency (a great resource for strategies to cope with challenges abroad): https://resilient-traveling.umich.edu/resiliency
- Getting outside your comfort zone while abroad: https://www.diversityabroad.com/study-abroad/articles/step-comfort-zone-go-abroad
Going Abroad with Diverse Identities
- Diversity abroad website: a great resource for information and scholarships about going abroad, for all students. Particularly helpful for students from under-represented populations:
- Resources for those going abroad with disabilities:
- On how identity can get flipped upside down abroad:
- Experience of a first-generation student who studied abroad:
- Managing mental health abroad:
The Coast Community College District does not discriminate unlawfully in providing educational or employment opportunities to any person on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or genetic information.