Admissions Information

Veterans Education & Transition Services

The academic year is divided into four sessions: fall semester, extending from August through December; Intersession, if available, the month of January; spring semester, from February through May; and summer session, from approximately June through mid- August. Check the college website for application filing periods.
The application for admission is available on-line
New and returning students who have been absent for two or more semesters must submit a new application online at Students are strongly encouraged to apply early in the application filing period in order to have time to complete all the requirements to be eligible for a priority registration appointment.
New and returning students will receive information via email on how to log in to MyGWC, the college’s student/ faculty web portal once their applications are processed. The email will also include the student ID number and outline the steps required to secure the best possible registration appointment.

Admissions, Registration, and Certification Procedures

1. Apply for Admission online

  • Once you receive your admissions email, check your residency status: if you were flagged as a nonresident, follow up ASAP.  The VA does not pay nonresident fees.

Nonresident status may have been assigned based on incorrect information on your admissions application. If you are a veteran and your home of record is California or you separated in California, submit a copy of your DD214 Member 4 to the Residency Clerk in the Enrollment Center.
If you are an active service member stationed in California, submit your orders to the Residency Clerk to see if you qualify for an exemption.
If you are a nonresident using Post 9/11(Chapter 33) or Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) educational benefits, you may qualify for a waiver under Section 702 of the federal Veterans Choice Act of 2014 and California’s Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act (VACA). Contact the School Certifying Official in Veterans Enrollment Services for more information.

2. Order Transcripts

  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes must be sent to the Golden West College Enrollment Center. Transcripts must be evaluated before meeting with a counsellor for a Student Education Plan (SEP).

Note: eTranscripts are delivered electronically.  Currently GWC can only accept eTranscripts from Credentials Solutions.  If your school does not utilize Credentials Solutions, order print copies to be delivered to the GWC Records office.

3. Take Assessment Tests

  • Make an appointment with the Assessment Center to test your English and mathematics skills. Sign up online or call 714-892-7711.
  • If you have successfully completed math and English (with a “C” or better) at another accredited college, you may not need to take the placement tests – your transcripts may be used for course placement in English and math classes and to meet matriculation requirements.

4. Meet with a GWC Counselor

  • A Student Education Plan (SEP) is required for VA certification purposes.
  • Veterans and service members who are currently attending GWC can schedule an SEP appointment by calling Counseling at 714-895-8119 ext. 1. Be sure to identify yourself as a veteran when making the appointment.
  • Veterans who are not currently attending GWC must contact Veteran Enrollment Services before contacting Counseling.

5. Eligibility for priority registration
All students are subject to the provisions of SB 1456.
New and returning students who have completed college orientation, assessment and developed education plans, as well as continuing students in good academic standing who have not exceeded 100 units (not including units in basic English, math or English as a Second Language), have enrollment priority over students who do not meet these criteria.
Priority registration will be determined as follows:

  • 1st Priority – Active duty military, veteran students, and current and former foster youth
  • 2nd Priority – Extended Opportunity Programs & Services (EOPS), Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS), and CalWORKs recipients.
  • 3rd Priority – Continuing students in good standing and new students

Under the provisions of California Education Code Section 66025.8

(a) GWC will grant priority registration to any member or former member of the Armed Forces of the United States, who is a resident of California, and who has received an honorable discharge, a general discharge, or an other than honorable discharge, and to any member or former member of the State Military Reserve, for any academic term attended for four academic years after he or she has left state or federal active duty, which he or she shall use within 15 years of leaving state or federal active duty.

(b) A former member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the State Military Reserve who received a dishonorable discharge or a bad conduct discharge is not eligible for priority registration for enrollment pursuant to this section.

In order to receive priority registration, students must present their DD214 or Military ID to the School Certifying Official. Veterans who cannot locate their DD-214 may order a new copy from the National Archives.

6. Register and Pay for Classes
To register for classes, login to your MyGWC account with your username and password. Instructions for using the online registration system are available at GWC Help Desk.

All fees are due at the time of registration. Failure to pay all fees may result in being dropped from classes for nonpayment. If you receive financial aid after paying your fees, you will be reimbursed.

Students who are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Chapter 31) are not required to pay fees at the time of registration.  To avoid being dropped for nonpayment, request a fee deferral immediately after registration.

7. Request To Be Certified
If you plan to use any VA educational benefits, you must request to be certified. You must complete a Request for Certification online through the VETS@GWC website.

Certifications are submitted in the order in which they are received. To prevent delays in receiving benefits, students are advised to complete their paperwork as soon as possible.