Golden West College Student FAQs for Excused Withdrawals “EW”

1. Due to COVID-19, I can no longer attend my course(s) at Golden West College this semester. Can I receive a refund?

Once it is past the refund deadline Golden West College is no longer able to offer refunds to students who drop their courses. There are no exceptions to this policy.

2. I will be dropping my course(s) due to COVID-19; do I have other options than receiving a “W” on my transcript. If I drop now, what mark will show on my transcript?

If you have documentation that shows you have contracted COVID-19 or are the primary caregiver of someone who contracted COVID-19 and must withdraw from your course(s) you may petition for an Excused Withdrawal. This will be depicted on your transcript as an “EW” as opposed to a “W.” Please see below for other occurrences that a student may petition for an Excused Withdrawal:

• A job transfer outside of the geographical region

• An illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver

• When the student who is incarcerated in a California state prison or county jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term**

• When the student is the subject of an immigration action

• Or verified cases of accidents, illnesses or other circumstances beyond the control of the student making course completion impracticable.

3. How do I submit a request for an Excused Withdrawal “EW”?

Please email the Excused Withdrawal Petition [PDF] and documentation to Ava Burns, Manager of Enrollment Services, at

4. How long will it take for my request to be processed?

Please allow for up to two weeks for your form to be processed.

5. What is the deadline to petition for an excused withdrawal?

Students have 6 months from the end of the semester they are requesting an excused withdrawal for to submit their petition.

6. Could there be any consequences to dropping my class(es) with an excused withdrawal “EW”?

Students need to speak with the appropriate departments to understand their individual circumstances concerning degree completion, athletic eligibility, financial aid implications (such as being required to pay back money received through financial aid awards), and other implications not listed. Please contact the appropriate departments with questions and concerns prior to dropping your course(s). Once your petition is approved the action is final and cannot be reversed.

7. I dropped my course with a “W” am I eligible for an excused withdrawal “EW”?

If you believe you qualify for an Excused Withdrawal you may submit the attached Excused Withdrawal Petition [PDF] with documentation to Ava Burns at

8. I still have more questions, who can I speak with regarding my individual circumstance?

Please contact Admissions & Records Specialist, Patrick Milius at