FLORAL DESIGN AND SHOP MANAGEMENT
Floral Design is the art of using plant materials and flowers to create a pleasing and balanced composition. Professionally designed arrangements incorporate the elements of design: line, form, space, texture, and color, and the principles of floral design: balance, proportion, rhythm, contrast, harmony, and unity.
In addition to arranging flowers, a florist is also responsible for their care. They must be proficient in all aspects of plant care and be able to maintain a wide variety of species in the flower, foliage, herb and ornamental grass families. Some floral designers become so knowledgeable and passionate about plant care that they are able to transition to working in a wholesale capacity.
The Floral Design and Shop Management program trains students by offering excellent instruction of industry skills necessary to secure employment in the floral industry.
Students receive hands-on experience and quality instruction with instructors who are accredited by the American Institute of Floral Designers (AIFD). AIFD is a globally recognized and respected organization that is dedicated to promoting the art of floral design as a professional career. AIFD is the definitive accreditation a florist strives to achieve.
- Program is well established with 30 years of history.
- Instructor has strong industry ties, including Board membership to the California State Floral Association.
- Comprehensive curriculum covers all aspects of the floral industry, including flower processor, design assistant, designer, sales person, manager, owner and entrepreneur.
- Small class-sizes allow for personal attention during practical applications.
- Evening courses are scheduled to accommodate working students.
- Quality, hands-on experience by instructors who are accredited by the American Institute of Floral Designers (AIFD).
- GWC students have the opportunity to participate in professional industry events, such as the California State Floral Association’s Annual Event, Top Ten Design Competition and Student Competition, the AIFD National Symposium and local industry design shows.
- The GWC Floral Design Program is recognized as the Shirley Haas Student Chapter of the American Institute of Floral Designers (SAIFD). Golden West is the only SAIFD chapter in Southern California and GWC students may apply for membership.
Most of the courses in this program transfer to the California State University (CSU) system and Private colleges and universities. Please see your GWC Counselor early in your studies to choose the transfer option that is right for you.
- Floral Designer
- Floral Specialist
- Floral Associate
- Gift Specialist
- Events Production
- Wedding and Event Designer
- Retail Floral Sales Associate
- Retail Sales Merchandizer
- Visual Display Coordinator
- Wholesale Florist