24 Hour Phone: (714) 895-8924
Emergency Numbers: (714) 895-8999 or Dial 911
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Campus Crime Prevention Safety Tips
The entire Campus community should exercise caution and take responsible actions in order to protect themselves and their property:
• Use the Public Safety escort service any time (24 hours a day).
• Before parking at night, call or stop by the Public Safety Department located in the Golden West parking lot. Ask for an officer to meet you and to escort you from your parking space.
• Avoid getting near strangers; you don’t have to stop and talk to them. • Avoid isolated or dark areas.
• Keep your car locked. Store items of value in the trunk.
• Before exiting a building or car, look around the area for anything suspicious. At all times, notice who is around you and what they are doing.
• Coats, backpacks, and purses should remain with you or be locked up.
• Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging.
• If someone is behind you, look to see how close he or she is.
• If you are being followed, cross the street, walk in the opposite direction, and/ or go to the nearest light and populated place.
• Travel with confidence and purpose.
• Always travel with a companion or in groups.
• If you can’t find traveling companions, use the Public Safety escort service on campus no matter how short the distance. • Stay alert, and trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy, get out or away.
• Walk, jog, or bike in groups of three or more, in well-lit, well-traveled areas without overgrown foliage, whether traveling between buildings or to and from your car.
• Wear outfits and shoes that allow you to move freely.
• Don’t use ATMs (automated bank teller machines) alone, at night, or when someone suspicious is nearby. • If you receive obscene or harassing telephone calls, hang up immediately, do not give out any information. If calls persist, call Public Safety.
• Know where emergency phones are located on campus and how they operate (map of phones posted on the GWC website). • Program the Public Safety Department emergency number (714-895-8999) into your cell phone. In the event of an actual emergency – call 911.
• Pay attention to campus security alerts; stay current with campus and city news regarding crime in and around the community. • Think about what you would do in an emergency situation – have a plan.
• Use common sense concerning personal and/or college property by not leaving it unattended anywhere on campus.
• If you see someone you consider suspicious or out of place, CALL THE GOLDEN WEST COLLEGE PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT or the HUNTINGTON BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT IMMEDIATELY.