Study Abroad

International Students and Intercultural Programs
London, England

Welcome to GWC’s study abroad page! GWC is committed to promoting global citizenship. To support that goal, GWC offers study abroad opportunities led by faculty members across the Coast Community College District. These programs are tailored to make the most of the destination’s resources. Students are given the chance to live and learn about a different culture and its people while earning academic credit for selected courses.

Sign Up for the Study Abroad Interest list


London, England
Date: Jun 25-Jul 25, 2018
Course(s): History 135: History of Britain
Cost: $3500 (based on 20-24 students)
Contact: Professor Dave Moore
Admin Bldg, Room 228 (GWC Campus)

Professor David Moore from the Study Abroad Program

So How Do I Apply?
  1. Click on the Brochure & Application link above, complete the application
  2. Mail it with deposit for $250 to:

870 Market St., #1026
San Francisco, CA 94102
Tel: 800-869-9291 |  Fax: 415-835-3749

First payment of $250 reserves your place

ign Up for the GWC Study Abroad: Faculty Interest List

Orange Coast College 2018 Programs

Orange Coast programs

Florence, ITALY
June 28 – July 28, 2018
Italian Language (All Levels)
Franca Hamber

June 30 – July 31, 2018
French Language (All Levels)
Lia Raileanu

Madrid, SPAIN
July 2 – 31, 2018
Spanish Language (All Levels)
Jocelyn Falcioni

Cambridge, ENGLAND
Date: June 27 – August 1, 2018
Course(s): ENG 101- Advance Comp: Writing About British Lit & ENG 148- British Film as Literature
Contact: Ray Obstfeld

Click Here to Donate to Study Abroad


The answers to these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are not meant to be comprehensive. Rest assured that GWC and the service provider will give you complete information, as some answers are program-specific.

Is financial aid available? What about scholarships?

Yes! For financial aid, please contact GWC’s Financial Aid department.

Phone: (714) 895-8394

Please be sure to indicate that you’re seeking information about financial aid in regard to a Study Abroad program.

Studying abroad is much more obtainable with a scholarship. Check out some of the most popular scholarships available!

Golden West College Scholarships:
All GWC full-time or part-time degree seeking students are eligible to apply for a Study Abroad scholarships. Scholarship awards up to $1000!

Find more information here:

Gilman International Scholarship:

Gilman International Scholarship logoThe Gilman Scholarship Program is open to U.S. citizen undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.

  • The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program.
  • The applicant is studying  abroad for at least or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – and no more than one academic year.

Find more information here:

What are the application requirements?

All Coast Community College District Study Abroad programs are open to anyone who is eligible to be accepted to a California community college. You do not need to be a current student at any of the three colleges within the Coast Community College District.

Unlike many four-year or private institutions, GWC does not have an application/essay/interview/minimum GPA/minimum number of earned credits process specifically for study abroad programs. It’s easy – you apply, you’re accepted on a first come, first served basis pending available space.

Will I need a passport? Will I need a visa? What about photos?

You will most definitely need a passport and you will need it at least nine months before departure as the service provider will normally request the passport number or a photocopy of the first two pages.

Visas are normally needed under one or both of the following situations: (1) if you are planning to remain in one country longer than 90 days; (2) if your citizenship requires a visa from the host country or countries.

Visas may be required for certain countries that in the past did not require visas for American citizens participating on short-term (e.g., summer) programs. The specific service provider will also assist you in determining if a visa is needed, and if so, which kind.

Please note that processing times for passports and visas has been seriously delayed, to the point of six months. For additional information, see the U.S. Department of State Passports page (

If you are obtaining a new passport or renewing a current passport, you will need photos.

What type of accommodations can I expect?

The type, and quality, of accommodations vary from program to program. For instance, some programs place students in hotels for the entire program. Other programs are arranged where you would be living with other students in an apartment, with some overnight hotel stays. Currently, there are no programs offered where you would stay with a family.

Some programs offer you the opportunity to request, and pay an additional amount, for a single room. Such rooms are normally based on availability, and are not guaranteed.

My friend and I want to go on the same program. May we live together?

Normally, yes. If you are of the same gender, you may request to be placed in the same accommodations.

Will the courses I take be marked as Study Abroad?

If you took Anthropology 100 and French 180, they will show on your records as just that, with the grades you earned. It would be exactly the same as if you had taken the courses on-site or through Distance Learning.

However, this is an excellent opportunity for you to indicate that you took these two classes as part of a Study Abroad program on your essay application to a four-year university or on a job résumé. Keep in mind that many employers prefer people who are willing to “think outside the box” and take chances; having participated on a Study Abroad program is often a good example of such thinking.

How do I help ensure the classes I take on a program will transfer to a four-year university?

Please speak with a GWC counselor about courses offered on study abroad programs regarding transferability.

Are there any prerequisites? I don’t speak any foreign languages.

There are usually no prerequisite requirements, except for foreign language courses. As far as being concerned about communicating with people in another country, we suggest that you at least learn the basics such as hello, goodbye, please, thank you, and sorry/excuse me/pardon me. Unless otherwise stated, all classes are taught in English.

How much money should I bring?

You may want to consider how much money you spend here, at home. Do you eat at restaurants many times per week? What about shopping? Take a look at your monthly budget, and use that as a guide.

Also be aware that accessing your money while overseas may be a bit different than what you are used to. Consult with your financial institution about having an ATM card with a four-digit PIN (personal identification number). You may want to also bring a credit card. We suggest you notify your financial institution and/or issuing credit card company that you’ll be using their card(s) overseas. Try to stash away about US$100 so that when you get back to the United States, you’ll have some cash for cab fare, lunch, etc.

Feedback from previous students who have participated on our programs indicates that traveler’s checks are not widely used, or accepted.

Will I have access to the internet so that I may check my email? What about cellphones?

Generally speaking, you’ll have access to the internet in your classes, cafes, and lodging to check your e-mail. But the questions are, will you have time and will you want to? As far as cell phones, purchasing a cell phone overseas is very reasonably priced. Alternatively, you can purchase a new SIM card that is compatible with your current cell phone. You may also contact your cell phone company for information on international rates.

How much do the programs cost?

Programs vary in price, ranging from $510 to $6,995. Some factors that may affect pricing are the number of people going (the more people, the cheaper it is per person), the time of year (off-season or high-season), the location (some countries are cheaper than others), the quality of accommodations (students living with other students in apartments tends to be cheaper than staying in hotels), and the length of the program (the longer the program, the cheaper it is on a per-day basis). Another factor is whether or not airfare is included in the program price.

What is not included in the program fees?

This varies by program, but generally speaking, fees associated with obtaining a passport and/or visa, personal expenses (food, clothing, etc.), tips, and porterage are not included. Depending on the program, airfare might not be included.

Program fees do not include the per unit enrollment fee, and other nominal fees.

I’m concerned about traveling overseas and then becoming ill. What do you suggest?

You may want to consult with your primary care physician, and your dentist, at least six months before departure. Your doctor may advise you about vaccinations based on where and when you’re going. If you need dental work, it’s far more pleasant to have this work done by someone you’re already familiar with. Plus, you won’t need to worry about being inconvenienced when you’re overseas. Having said that, you may want to also look at the Center for Disease Control’s and the World Health Organization’s websites for travel alerts. (See additional resources below.)

Travel info links:

Travel alerts: U.S. Department of State Travel site

Travel warnings: U.S. Department of State Travel site

Passports, for American citizens: U.S. Department of State site

Please review this information as well from the State department: International Travel Safety Information for Students

For further information, contact:
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Policy Coordination and Public Affairs
Press inquiries: (202) 647-1488

Internet addresses:
Public inquiries: toll-free (888) 407-4747

Transportation Security Administration

Department of Homeland Security

“What’s Up with Culture?”

Travel warnings from foreign governments

United Kingdom



Health information: Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the World Health Organization.

Additional information, by country:



Costa Rica








New Zealand





United Kingdom

Find out how much the American dollar is worth overseas.

These webpage links are provided only as informational sources.

The Coast Community College District does not discriminate unlawfully in providing educational or employment opportunities to any person on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or genetic information.

Coast Community College District Program Policy

The Coast Community College District reserves the right to cancel, change, append, add, or delete Programs or features of Programs. Dates, prices, locations, and other details indicated on this preliminary information page may not accurately reflect the actual Program offered in 2017-2018, as Programs are still in the final planning stages.