Complaint Process



GWC Campus landscape

Golden West College and its employees make every effort to serve students and non-students courteously and efficiently, including acting in accordance with college policies and state and federal laws. Individuals dissatisfied with a campus policy or the conduct of a college employee can bring a complaint, a written or verbal notice of dissatisfaction, to the attention of the appropriate faculty, staff, or administrator at any time. If a problem is identified, applicable remedies will be put in place as soon as possible. Before filing a complaint, individuals should make every effort to resolve their dissatisfaction informally with the college personnel immediately involved. If addressing an issue informally does not lead to satisfactory resolution, the individual may register a complaint with the appropriate supervisor or administrator. If, after contacting the appropriate supervisor or administrator, you are not satisfied with the outcome you may contact that person’s supervisor/administrator. Service complaints escalating to this level should be submitted in writing so that the appropriate administrator can investigate your complaint and respond.

Complaints are handled through the Office of the Dean of Students located in the Student Services Center. Dr. Carla Martinez, Dean of Students


Grade Grievance

All grade grievances are handled through the student grievance process. However, in general, and by law, the instructor is solely responsible for the grades he/she assigns. No instructor may be directed to change a grade except in certain narrow circumstances authorized by Education Code Section 76224(a), When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the students grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final.

Grade grievances are handled through the Office of the Dean of Counseling and Social Sciences located in the Counseling/Career & Transfer Center in the Student Services Center. Dr. Robyn Brammer, Dean of Counseling

Discrimination Complaints

The Coast Community College District is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, employment, and all access to institutional programs and activities. The District does not discriminate unlawfully in providing educational or employment opportunities to any person on the basis of race or ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or genetic information or because they are perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

Since failure to report harassment and discrimination impedes the Coast Community College Districts ability to stop the behavior, the District encourages anyone who believes they are being harassed or discriminated against, to file a complaint. The District encourages the filing of such complaints within 30 days of the alleged incident. The complaint shall be filed by one who alleges that he/she has personally suffered unlawful discrimination or by one who has learned of such unlawful discrimination in his/her official capacity as a faculty member or administrator.

In any complaint not involving employment, the complaint shall be filed within one year of the date of the alleged unlawful discrimination or within one year of the date on which the complainant knew or should have known of the facts underlying the allegation of unlawful discrimination.

In any complaint alleging discrimination in employment, the complaint shall be filed within 180 days of the date the alleged unlawful discrimination occurred, except that this period should be extended by no more than 90 days following the expiration of the 180 days if the complainant first obtained knowledge of the facts of the alleged violation after the expiration of the 180 days.

To file a complaint of unlawful discrimination, please submit an Unlawful Discrimination Complaint Form [PDF] to the Coast Community College District at 1370 Adams Ave., Costa Mesa, CA 92626, Attn: Office of Human Resources.

Sexual Misconduct

Students have the right to flourish academically in an environment free from sexual misconduct and all forms of gender-based discrimination and violence. GWC responds promptly and equitably to all reports of sexual misconduct. We encourage students to report incidents of sexual misconduct or other inappropriate behavior, to familiarize themselves with the Districts related policies and procedures, and to seek the care and support they deserve. The Colleges Title IX Coordinator is Dr. Carla Martinez, Dean of Students. You may contact Dr. Martinez at (714) 895-8781 or You may also report a Title IX/Sexual misconduct complaint using this form: GWC Student Sexual Misconduct/Title IX Form or for more information about Title IX, please visit

If you are a GWC employee and you feel that you are being sexually harassed, please contact Human Resources.

Off-Campus Resources for Complaints

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are encouraged to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

  • To the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) at if your complaint is associated with the institutions compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.
  • To the CCC Chancellors Office by completing a web form if your complaint does not concern CCCs compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards.
  • If your complaint involves unlawful discrimination, to the Chancellors Office website at

For more information, please visit the California Community College State Chancellor’s Office Complaint Form site at

Online Students Living Outside California

If you are a student taking an online class and you live in a state other than California, you may file a complaint with your local state regulator. Visit the State Regulator Complaint Contact Info for a list of state regulators and their contact information.