Application Process for School of Nursing
Dear Nursing Program Applicant:
Thank you for your interest in the Golden West College Registered Nurse (RN) program. Based on thousands of students who have applied to the nursing program before you, we have assembled this information to help make the application process as easy as possible for you. Please read this carefully as it will answer the majority of your questions.
To be eligible to apply for admission to the nursing program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of admission.
- Complete the required courses with a grade of “C” or better: ENG G100 – English Composition or equivalent (English AP score of 3 or higher), PSYC G118 – Life Span Development and COMM G110 – Public Speaking.
- Complete BIO G220 – Human Anatomy, BIO G225 – Human Physiology, BIO G210 – General Microbiology with a minimum 2.5 GPA for points on the Multi-Criteria Guidelines.
- (Please note that the science courses must have been completed within the last 7 years).
- Pass the ATI TEAS with a score of 62% or higher on your first attempt to be eligible to apply. If you do not receive a minimum score of 62% you must wait 365 days from the date of your first test to retake it unless there is a newer version available. The TEAS test can be taken at any testing site. You may print the test results from the ATI website and attach to your application. Do not request an official copy of the results from ATI at this time.
Please note: We will not accept TEAS V results as of February 2017.
- Complete the current online nursing orientation and print the confirmation page with the number on it. This must be attached to your application. A current online orientation must be completed and a new confirmation number must be obtained for each application filed.
- Be in adequate health to perform the duties of a Registered Nurse. These requirements are detailed in the current college catalog (www.goldenwestcollege.edu/catalog). Please be sure you meet these requirements for participation in clinical activities.
- If you are not a student at GWC, complete an application to the college, available on the website (http://www.goldenwestcollege.edu/admissions/application/). You will need a student ID# to apply to the nursing program.
- All official transcripts must be on file with Admissions and Records located in the Student Services Center by the last day of the application filing period. If you fail to do this, your application will be considered ineligible.
- If you took any of the 6 courses outside of the Region 8 community colleges, please list that on the application (Page 1). Please review the Course Equivalency Grid listing the acceptable courses.
To participate in the clinical component of each nursing course, the healthcare agencies require each student to meet the following requirements. These are all due upon acceptance to the program:
- Have a clear background check for the last 7 years. (no criminal or civil records)
(Please review the BRN website (www.rn.ca.gov) for background issues that would prohibit a graduated nurse from being allowed to take the licensing exam)
- Have a clear urine drug test – drug test must be performed prior to attending clinical.
- Immunizations as per current Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines.
- A Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is required by the Board of Registered Nursing to take the licensing examination.
Due to the impacted nature of the program, permanent residents will have priority for admission over F-1 Visa students.
Fill out the Application
Attach unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended to your application including GWC, OCC and Coastline, even if the coursework is not being applied toward the nursing program. Please add your name and GWC student ID number to each transcript page. Highlight the 6 required courses and any earned degrees. Note: All foreign transcripts must be translated by an official agency prior to filing an application to the Nursing Program. This is mandatory to evaluate equivalency of both high school education and college courses, if not translated it will not be eligible for review.
- Fill out the four-page application, attach requested copies, and remember to sign and date the application.
- All materials you turn in with your application will become the property of Golden West College and will not be returned to you.
- Application packets submitted after the deadline and incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Complete and submit the Application Checklist (Page 4 of the application).
- Send all official transcripts separately to Admissions and Records by the application filing deadline. If you fail to do this, your application will be considered ineligible. Do not send official transcripts for Golden West, Orange Coast or Coastline Colleges. The unofficial copies for these colleges attached to your application will suffice.
Filing your Application
Application packets submitted after the deadline and incomplete applications will not be processed.
You may submit your application to the School of Nursing Lobby (Building NHS #36) during the following filing periods:
Fall 2019 Admission: Filing period is CLOSED
Spring 2020 Admission: Filing period is CLOSED
Applications will be accepted Monday – Thursday 8:30 am to 12:00 noon & 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm and Friday 8:30 am to 12 noon (Closed weekends and Holidays) DO NOT mail applications. They will not be considered for admission. You may have someone submit it in person for you.
Mail all Official Transcripts separately to Admissions and Records. Official Transcripts must be postmarked by the application filing deadline.
Mail Official Transcripts to:
Golden West College
Attn: Admissions & Records
15744 Goldenwest Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
Electronic Transcripts: Official transcripts may be submitted electronically to Admissions and Records from your sending institution via PDF. The transcripts must be sent directly from the sending institutions authorized agent to email@example.com. GWC will not accept forwarded transcripts from the student.
- All complete applications that are submitted by the deadline are evaluated based on the Multi-Criteria Guidelines. Qualified applicants are ranked based on points earned in the Multi-Criteria. Students with the highest number of points are selected until all spaces in the program are filled. A limited number of alternate applicants are also selected.
- Students who are eligible to enroll in nursing coursework must submit required paperwork by specified deadlines or their space will be given to an alternate.
Qualified applicants who are not selected for entry are encouraged to reapply during the next application period. We accept applications in February for Fall admission and in June for Spring admission. We do not maintain a wait-list.