Golden West College Academic Senate
Academic Senate is an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters.
Meetings are on the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. in Humanities 107.
Fall 20187 Meeting Schedule: September 11 & 25, October 9 & 23, November 13 & 27, and December 11
Spring 2019 Meeting Schedule: February 12 & 26, March 12, April 9 & 23, and May 14
The Golden West College Academic Senate’s mission is to serve its faculty, promote the best interests of higher education, and to represent the faculty in campus, district, and state level senate charges by carrying out the primary functions as delineated in the CA Code of Regulations, Title 5, section 53200, which includes both academic and professional matters, and consulting collegially with the local campus and district governing boards.
The “10 + 1”
The “10 + 1” Commonly known as the “10 + 1”, the following define “Academic and Professional matters”.
- Curriculum including establishing prerequisites and places courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate
For additional information on the Academic Senate and its mission, please visit the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges.
- Recruit and nurture faculty leadership.
- Work with new faculty to create a welcome environment and transition into the GWC campus community.
- Increase participation in campus-wide committee work.
- Faculty professional development—now that position has been filled, work to increase training opportunities and faculty participation.
- Work with entire GWC community to celebrate 50th