Frequently Asked Questions

Student Health Center
1.) What is the Student Health Center?

The Student Health Center is a medical facility on campus funded by the student health fee. The mission of Student Health Services is to provide health care and education to students in support of their well-being so they may attain their educational goals and to serve as a health and medical resource for the campus community. In promoting wellness, both physical and emotional, students are encouraged to choose positive lifestyles which contribute to student retention and success.

2.) Where is the Student Health Center located?

The Student Health Center is conveniently located on campus on the first floor of the Frank & Gertrude R. Doyle School of Nursing/Health Services Building at the corner of Edinger and Goldenwest St., parking Lot E or F. The entrance is in the breezeway across from the elevators.

3.) Do you have to pay anything to use the Student Health Center?

There is a mandatory $21 student health fee when you register for your classes. Students do have to be currently enrolled and attending classes to use the Student Health Center.

4.) What are the services offered at the Student Health Center?

Acute, episodic (short term) care for illness and short term individual psychological therapy are offered. Also available are immunizations, lab services, and medication at low costs. 

5.) Is everything confidential at the Health Center?

Your information is confidential and will not be disclosed without your written permission, EXCEPT by court order, subpoena, or where reporting is required by law including:

  • When the patient may harm himself/herself or others
  • When there is reasonable suspicion of criminally inflicted injuries including sexual assault, and domestic violence including child abuse, spousal abuse, or elder abuse.

6.) How do you go about using the Health Center for the first time?

You will need to show your current student ID card and fill out forms that will be available on our student health portal after your scheduled appointment. You can call for an appointment or walk-in. Depending on what services you are requesting, you may need to return to the clinic for a future scheduled appointment. In many cases, you will need to see a Registered Nurse (RN) prior to seeing a physician. We also may need to refer you to provider/services in the community or to your Primary Care Physician (PCP). 

7.) How do you make an appointment with the doctor?

In most cases, you need to see an RN first. The RN will assess the problem and then arrange an appointment with one of the doctors, as appropriate.

8.) Can you get a physical exam at the health center?

Yes, we offer physicals including pre-nursing, child care, athletics, and others. If the PE is for another institution, you need to either bring in the exam form or fax the form to us prior to scheduling your physical.

9.) Are there any mental health services?

Yes, students who are currently enrolled and attending classes are eligible for therapy sessions with a mental health professional at no charge. We offer therapy for students who are dealing with relationships, life transitions, sexuality, grief, stress, sexual assault, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, eating disorders, social services, and anger issues. 


10.) Is family planning available?

Yes. We offer family planning counseling, birth control, condoms, etc. We also have information regarding Family Pact.

11.) Is pregnancy testing available?

Yes, low cost pregnancy testing is available for students.

12.) Are condoms available at the Health Center?

Yes, you may purchase condoms 8 for $1. 

13.) Is STI screening available?

Yes, both male and female students can come in for information and to be screened for STI’s. There is a fee for lab work. Another good resource is the Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA), where there is no insurance, residential, or fee requirement. 

14.) Can I have my blood pressure checked at the Health Center?

Yes, appointments are advised.

15.) Can I have lab work done at the Student Health Center?

Yes, lab work is available with a doctor’s order-either private (PCP) or through the Health Center physicians. If your PCP is requesting the lab work, you must bring in the written order form. An RN may order some lab work according to our RN Standing Orders. 

16.) Can a female have her yearly GYN exam done at the Health Center?

Yes, there is a fee for the examination and lab cost.

17.) What are the hours of the Student Health Center?

Please visit our website for the most current schedule:

18.) Is there always a Registered Nurse at the Health Center?

Yes, during hours of operation.

19.) Is there a Health Educator at the Health Center?

No health educator is on staff at this time, although health education materials are available as well as nurses to answer your health questions. One-on-one sessions with an RN are available regarding Smoking Cessation and a Wellness program.

20.) Are immunizations available?

Yes, if you would like to receive an immunization at the Health Center, please call for an appointment. The following immunizations are usually available: Influenza (Flu); Tdap; however, your private insurance may cover immunizations at a lower cost or no cost to you through your PCP. If you need other immunizations that we do not carry we have a list of resources in the community that may be able to meet your needs.

21.) Can I have my vision and or hearing checked?

Yes. We do basic vision and hearing screenings at no charge. Appointments are recommended.

22.) What can’t the Student Health Center provide?

We cannot manage any long term chronic medical condition, such as asthma, diabetes, hypertension, hormonal replacement, or any condition requiring continued medical care.

23.) Is information and help to stop smoking available?

Yes, we offer individual counseling with an RN and provide resources and referrals. We also have resources available to help you with any substance abuse.

24.) Is information regarding weight control available?

Yes, we offer a Wellness program to lose or maintain a healthy weight.

25.) Is information regarding HIV/AIDS available?

Yes, we have individual counseling, resources, and referrals.

26.) Is a referral available from the Student Health Center

Yes, we have an extensive referral list for students. We try to provide free or low cost referrals.

27.) What happens if I get injured on campus?
  • If it is an emergency, call 911.
  • Report your injury (instructor/coach/public safety/student health).
  • Your injury may be covered under student insurance.
  • We will administer first aid as needed.
  • We may refer you to a community clinic or specialist.