What Are My Rights and Responsibilities As a Student?Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS)
The Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at Golden West College (GWC). A variety of programs and services are available, which allow eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations.
1. I have the right to receive services and reasonable accommodations based on my disability-related educational limitations according to Section 504, Section 508, ADA, and Title 5 Guidelines.
2. I have the right to receive confidential treatment of my disability-related information.
3. I understand that the DSPS office may release information to professionals who have an educational need to know under the Family Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA).
4. I have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
5. My participation in the DSPS program shall be entirely voluntary.
6. Participating in the DSPS program does not preclude me from participating in any other course, program, or activity offered by the College.
7. I have the right to appeal decisions made by the DSPS office.
8. I have the right to contact the DSPS office immediately in cases where a grievance is related to an academic accommodation. Student grievance procedures may be found in the College Catalog or www.goldenwestcollege.edu/enrollment-center/rights/
1. I will provide DSPS with the necessary documentation to verify my disability(ies).
2. I agree to meet with a DSPS counselor at least once a year to update the Student Educational Contract (SEC).
3. I must demonstrate measurable progress toward the goals established in the Student Educational Contract (SEC). For the regular college courses in which I am enrolled, I must meet Golden West College’s academic standards.
4. I permit DSPS to monitor my academic progress.
5. I will maintain behavior appropriate to an educational setting and am subject to the Golden West College Student Code of Conduct. www.goldenwestcollege.edu/enrollment-center/rights/
6. I will request and use approved DSPS accommodations in a timely and responsible manner. I understand that DSPS uses written service provision policies and procedures that must be adhered to for continuation of services.
7. For all DSPS services that I use, I will notify DSPS of any planned absences from class or appointments. Cancellations should be received at least 24 hours in advance. Two unnotified absences may result in the suspension of that DSPS service.
8. At the completion of each semester, I am responsible for the return of any equipment borrowed from DSPS. If I do not return the equipment or return it damaged, I am responsible for the replacement costs. I understand that outstanding debts to the College may prevent me from registering for the subsequent semester.
9. I will treat every DSPS employee with dignity and respect.
10. I will regularly check my MyGWC email for important information from DSPS and GWC.
Coast Community College District uses the information requested on this form for the purpose of determining a student’s eligibility to receive authorized special services provided by the Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS). Personal information recorded on this form will be kept confidential in order to protect against unauthorized disclosure. Portions of this information may be shared with the Chancellor’s Office of the California Community Colleges or other state or federal agencies; however, disclosure to these parties is made in strict accordance with applicable statutes regarding confidentiality, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g). Pursuant to Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act (Public Law 93-579; 5 U.S.C. § 552a, note), providing your social security number is voluntary. The information on this form is being collected pursuant to California Education Code Sections 67310-67312, and 84850; and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 56000 et seq.