Graduation Requirements

Enrollment Services

HOURS: Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm |
Friday 8:00 am to 12:00 pm | Closed Weekends and Holidays
Phone: (714) 892-7711

If you are seeking an Associate Degree, or a Certificate of Achievement or Specialization, you may submit a petition for graduation at the beginning of the last semester in which you will be completing the requirements for graduation or after your program of study is completed. Graduation Petitions for the Associate Degree and Certificates of Achievement or Specialization are only available in-person at the Records Counter in the Administration Building during the Graduation Filing periods.

Diplomas will be mailed to the mailing address on file with golden west college. Your address may be updated by logging on to WWW.MYGWC.COM Or by filing a change of address form at The Enrollment Center.

NOTE: Applications received outside of the filing period will be discarded.  They will not be held.


Semester Application period begins Deadline to submit an application
FALL September 1 November 1
SPRING February 1 April 1
SUMMER July 1 August 1

All students attempting to earn an Associate’s Degree must meet one of the three general education patterns as well as meet requirements for a Major or Area of Emphasis offered at Golden West College.  Residency unit requirements as well as GPA requirements are listed below.

  1. OPTION 1 – Career Focus
    OPTION 2 – CSU Breadth Requirements
    OPTION 3 – IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) Requirements
  2. Majors/Areas of Emphasis
  3. Unit and GPA Requirement:
    Students must complete at least 60-degree units with a minimum 2.0-grade point average.  Students must complete all courses in their program of study with a grade of C or better.
  4. Residency requirements:
    A minimum of 12 units must be taken at Golden West College.


If you began your studies at GWC before FALL 2008 and have maintained continuous enrollment (completion of at least one college course per catalog year), you may be able to graduate under the old requirements. If you are unclear about when you started at Golden West College and could possibly follow the old requirements, please speak with a GWC counselor.

Graduation requirements for the associate degree prior to fall 2008

Associate in arts for transfer (AA-T) or associate in science transfer (AS-T)

Spring AA-T and AS-T applicants: Please submit your application no later than February 19th in order to obtain your AA-T/AS-T verification before the deadline.

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer”, a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at a California community college.

The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn one of these degrees, students must complete a minimum of 60 required semester units of CSU-transferable coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major).

This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system.  Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.

What does this mean to GWC students?

  • By following this degree pattern, you will complete the general education requirements for the CSU General Education Breadth Requirements.
  • You will be CSU GE Certified – This will appear on your official GWC transcript.
  • You will complete the requirements for a Certificate of Achievement from GWC for the CSU General Education Breadth Requirements.
  • You will be ready to apply to the CSU (California State University).
  • You will have completed the Major Preparatory Requirements for your degree program.

Students who complete the requirements for an AA-T or AS-T are guaranteed:

  • Junior standing at the CSU
  • Priority admission consideration over all other transfer students when applying to a CSU Baccalaureate (BA/BS) degree program that has been deemed similar to the student’s community college area of emphasis.
  • The transfer associate degree student will only be required to complete 60 additional prescribed units to qualify for the similar BA/BS degree.

The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:

  1. Completion of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
  2. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
  3. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
  4. Certified completion of the California State University General Education Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.

Click here for the full list of AA-T and AS-T Degrees

Additional majors are being developed. Please see a counselor for more information.

More information regarding Associate Degrees for Transfer can be found at the following websites:

The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office

The California State University:


All official transcripts of previous college coursework must be on file in the Office of Admissions and Records before applying for a degree or certificate.  GWC students DO NOT need to submit official transcripts from OCC or CCC in order to use those credits to graduate.


Students intending to use coursework from other colleges to fulfill career certificate requirements must file a Course Substitution Form for each department or area of study.  Coursework to be used for specific degree or area of emphasis requirements that cannot be articulated may require a student to submit a Course Substitution Form:  These instances will be handled on a case by case basis.

Course Substitution Forms must be complete with Instructor’s signature and a signature from either the chair or Dean of the department being petitioned.  Completed forms must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records prior to submitting an application for graduation. Incomplete forms will not be accepted.

The Course Substitution Form MAY NOT be used for courses being used toward an AA-T or AS-T.  Students attempting to fulfill AA-T/AS-T requirements with coursework from other colleges or institutions must speak with a counselor for evaluation.


The commencement ceremony is held annually during the last part of May. Commencement Schedule All students who have petitioned for graduation during that academic year may participate in the ceremony.


If you’ve already graduated from Golden West College and you would like to order a duplicate copy of your diploma or certificate of achievement, please submit a Duplicate Diploma Request Form.  There is a $20 charge for a duplicate diploma which may be paid by VISA, MASTERCARD, check or money order.  Do not send cash in with your request.


All Applications for graduation, Course Substitution forms and Duplicate Diploma Requests should be addressed to:

Golden West College
Admissions and Records Office
15744 Goldenwest St.
Huntington Beach, CA

If you have questions about your graduation application you may contact the Graduation Clerk, Jenny Tran at