714-892-7711 ext 58420
1st floor, Student Services Center
Click below for Image Gallery from Previous Commencement:
Class of 2020 Virtual Commencement Celebration
Congratulations Golden West College Class of 2020! You did it!
We weren’t able to have a traditional in-person Commencement Ceremony this year, but we still want to celebrate your accomplishments. Please enjoy this online celebration and be sure to share it with your families and friends. Your Golden West College family is very proud of you!
The Virtual Commencement Celebration will be available to view beginning Friday, June 12, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Commencement Program FlipBook
Degrees and certificates are not automatically awarded when you have completed all your requirements. If you are seeking an Associate’s Degree or a Certificate, you may submit a petition to graduate during the filing periods. Please petition during your last semester using this form (see below).
GRADUATION FILING PERIODS
|Graduation Period||AA/AS Filing Period||ADT Filing Period|
|Summer||July 1 – August 1||July 1 – August 1|
|Fall||August 15 – November 15||August 15 -– September 15|
|Spring||January 15 – April 15||January 15 – February 15|
- What will happen after I submit the graduation petition? Your petition will go through a series of evaluation. Please ensure successful completion of all your in progress courses. If you do not have in progress courses, no further action is required unless notified.
- Will I be notified of my status? If you are required to perform further action or have been denied, you will be notified through your student email and personal email (if any). All students may check their unofficial transcript for most updated degree/certificate status.
- How do I update my mailing and email address? You may update your mailing and personal email address by logging on to your MyGWC account.
- When is commencement? Graduation ceremony, also known as Commencement, takes place every year towards the end of May after the Spring semester to celebrate the previous year’s Summer and Fall graduates, as well as this year’s Spring graduates.
- How do I RSVP for commencement? Even though commencement is not mandatory, we encourage you to join us in celebrating your success. Beginning of May, the graduation department will contact all students through email with all necessary commencement information.
- Will I receive my diploma at commencement? No, students will only receive diploma covers at commencement. Your diploma will be available for pick up when you receive an email notification (typically 2-3 months after the semester is over) from the graduation department. If you are unavailable to pick up your diploma, we will mail it to your mailing address after 3 weeks from the email notification.
- If I walk in commencement, does that mean I have been awarded my degree? Since commencement takes place during the last week of Spring, all Summer and Fall graduates have been awarded their degree on their GWC official transcript. As for all Spring graduates, since final evaluation happens after commencement, please note that Spring graduates who participate in the ceremony may be denied the degree if they do not meet all necessary requirements during the final evaluation.
ASSOCIATES DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
To earn an Associate’s Degree, you must (1) complete one option of general education patterns, as well as (2) meet requirements for your chosen Major offered at Golden West College, (3) have at least 60 units toward your degree, meet 12 residency units at GWC, and (4) meet the minimum GPA requirements.
- Complete one of the following:
OPTION 1 – Career Focus
OPTION 2 – CSU Breadth Requirements
OPTION 3 – IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) Requirements
- Complete required major courses with grades C or better.
- Units and Residency requirements:
Students must complete at least 60 degree units. A minimum of 12 units must be taken at Golden West College. At least six of these units must be in courses required for the major.
- GPA requirements:
Students must have a cumulative minimum 2.0 grade point average. All courses required for the Major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
What is an Associate Degree?
The associate degree is typically completed in two years and has two main purposes. It prepares the student to transfer to a four-year university, or is intended to prepare the student for immediate employment.
If you began your studies at GWC before FALL 2008 and have maintained continuous enrollment (completion of at least one college course per catalog year), you may be able to graduate under the old requirements. Please contact your counselor in regards to your educational plan.
Associates Degree for Transfer
AA-T/AS-T GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Cumulative minimum 2.0 grade point average.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in a specific AD-T major. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better or a P if the course is taken on a “pass/no pass” basis (title 5 § 55063).
- Certified completion of the OPTION 2 CSU Breadth Requirements [PDF] or OPTION 3 Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) [PDF] Please consult with a counselor for more information.
What is an Associates of Art for Transfer (AA-T) or Associates of Science for Transfer (AS-T)?
The AA-T or AS-T (also known as AD-T: Associates Degree for Transfer) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a California State University (CSU) campus. Students completing these AD-T are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
What does this mean for GWC students?
- By following this degree pattern, you will complete OPTION 2 CSU Breadth Requirements [PDF].
- You will be CSU General Education Certified – This will appear on your official GWC transcript.
- You will be ready to apply to the CSU.
- You will have completed the Major Preparatory Requirements for your degree program.
Coursework from Other Colleges
Official transcripts from all other institutions you have attended must be submitted to the Admissions & Records before petitioning to graduate for a degree or certificate. You do not need to submit official transcripts from Orange Coast College or Coastline Community College.
Official transcripts from other institutions must be submitted in a sealed envelope. Students may personally hand in their transcripts, have it sent directly from the institutions, or if the other institutions permit, students may have e-transcripts emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a course substitution?
If you believe a course taken at GWC or at another institution should be used to substitute for a requirement within a major or certificate, you may file a Course Substitution Form [PDF].
Please submit this form to the Admissions & Records prior or concurrent to petitioning for graduation. Course Substitution Forms must be complete with Instructor’s signature and a signature from either the chair or Dean of the department being petitioned. Please submit any necessary official transcript and/or course descriptions and/or course syllabus with the course substitution. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
Please Note: The Course Substitution Form may not be used for courses being used toward an AD-T. Students attempting to fulfill AD-T requirements with coursework from other colleges or institutions must speak with a counselor for evaluation.
Due to the recent campus closure we are unable to process duplicate diploma orders at this time.
To show proof of degree please order official transcripts. Official transcript orders can be placed at: www.goldenwestcollege.edu/records/
Golden West College
Admissions and Records Office
15744 Goldenwest St.
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
For further questions regarding graduation you may contact the Graduation Clerk at email@example.com.
The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office:
The California State University:
714-892-7711 ext 58420
1st floor, Student Services Center