Reporting Options and Other Resources

Title IX at Golden West College

Every Coast Community College District (CCCD) student, employee, and visitor has the right to flourish academically and professionally in an environment free from sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, and all forms of gender-based discrimination and violence. The District responds promptly and equitably to all reports of sexual misconduct. We encourage members of our community to report incidents of sexual misconduct or other inappropriate behavior, to familiarize themselves with the District’s related policies and procedures, and to seek the care and support they deserve.

This page is designed to assist students who are recipients of unwanted sexual behavior by providing available resources, reporting options and other information related to sexual misconduct.

Reporting Options

The College encourages all individuals to seek assistance from a medical provider and/or law enforcement immediately after an incident of sexual violence. This is the best option to ensure preservation of evidence and to begin a timely investigative and remedial response.

The College also encourages all individuals to make a report to the College. Reporting options are not mutually exclusive. Both internal and criminal reports may be pursued simultaneously.

Making a report means telling someone in authority what happened — in person, by telephone, in writing or by email. At the time a report is made, a Complainant does not have to decide whether or not to request any particular course of action, nor does a Complainant need to know how to label what happened. Choosing to make a report, and deciding how to proceed after making the report, can be a process that unfolds over time. The College provides support that can assist each individual in making these important decisions and to the extent legally possible, will respect an individuals autonomy in deciding how to proceed. In this process, the College will balance the individuals interest with its obligation to provide a safe and non-discriminatory environment for all members of the campus community.

Victims of sexual violence on the GWC campus are urged to report the incident:

  1. GWC Campus Safety 714-895-8924 or go to the Public Safety Office located near parking Lot D
  2. Go to Student Health Center for confidential reporting and assistance located in the Nursing & Health Sciences, Building #36

Victims will be provided with immediate care and transportation to a medical facility if necessary.

Off-campus victims should immediately call 9-1-1 to report the crime to local law enforcement authorities. Reporting a rape or other act of sexual violence does not commit a victim to filing charges. Even if the victim was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of an attack, a sex crime has still occurred. California Penal Code says that sexual assault victims cannot be charged for misdemeanor alcohol or drug use at the time of the attack.

  • You can make a police report to the appropriate police department in which the incident occurred.
  • If this is an emergency, call 911.
  • You can make a report to Campus Safety at 714-895-8924
  • You can make a report to the campus Title IX Coordinator, Carla Martinez (714) 895-8781
  • If the incident involves a Golden West College or District faculty or staff member, you can file a complaint with the District Office of Human Resources (714-438-4707).

Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form

Please use this form to submit allegations or reports of sexual harassment. If you’re unsure about actions that may be considered sexual harassment, please visit the GWC website for more information about sexual harassment (Title IX).

<Link To Sexual Harassment Reporting Form>

The Title IX Coordinator will be in touch within 2 business days of submitting this report.

Filing a Civil Suit

A victim may choose to file a civil suit against the defendant whether or not criminal charges have been filed. A civil suit gives a victim an opportunity to recover actual damages. This may include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress.

Obtaining a Protective/Restraining Order

A victim may also choose to obtain a protective/restraining order. Protective orders are civil court orders to protect victims who have experienced or are reasonably in fear of physical violence, sexual assault, or stalking by another individual. In California, one may obtain a domestic violence restraining order or a civil harassment restraining order. If a victim reports to law enforcement, they may assist them in obtaining a restraining order from a criminal court. Any restraining orders issued should be filed with campus Public Safety so that every effort can be made to assist in the enforcement of the order.

Campus Resources

Students and staff may get assistance at the Student Health Center and off campus counseling and other support services. All reports of sex crimes on our facilities will be thoroughly investigated so that appropriate action can be taken. In addition, the College will cooperate with local law enforcement as necessary.

Supportive Measures

Whether or not a student or employee reports to law enforcement and or pursues any formal action, if they report an incident of sexual misconduct to the College or the District, we are committed to providing them a safe learning or working environment as possible.

CCCD may make any reasonably available change to a complainants academic and or working situation. Examples of supportive measures include but are not limited to:

  • Academic assistance (e.g., excused absence, permit late assignments, retake assignments, grade change, withdraw, leaves of absence, tutoring) in consultation with the faculty/Dean;
  • Campus/Public Safety escort;
  • Education and training;
  • Implementing contact limitations (no contact orders) between the Parties;
  • Increased security and monitoring of certain areas on campus;
  • On-campus employment assistance (e.g., adjustments to work schedule or assignment) in consultation with Human Resources;
  • Other measures deemed appropriate by the Title IX Coordinator;
  • Referral to counseling, medical, and/or other healthcare services;
  • Referral to the Employee Assistance Program, if an Employee;
  • Referral to off-campus community-based service providers;
  • Safety planning;
  • Timely warnings; and
  • Trespass orders.

Formal Complaint

A formal complaint is a document filed and signed by the Complainant or signed by the Title IX Coordinator, alleging Sexual Harassment against a Respondent and requesting that the District/College investigate the allegations. A formal complaint may be filed with the Title IX Coordinator in person, by mail, or by email using the contact information in Section III above or through the electronic reporting form on the Colleges website.

Community resources for victims of sexual assault include:

North County Rape Crisis Center: 714-834-4317
South County Rape Crisis Center: 714-752-1971
Anaheim Regional Medical Center: 714-774-1450
Community Service Programs, Inc. (CSP): 24 hour hotline, 714-957-2737, and 949-831-9110

Other Resources

Where can I find information on how to reduce my risk of being a victim of sexual assault or stalking?