Which English, ESL, or Math do I take?

State law AB 705 took effect on January 1, 2018, which eliminated requiring students to take placement tests at all California community colleges. The intent of this law is to ensure that students are not placed in remedial courses that may delay or deter their educational progress. AB 705 requires that a community college maximizes the probability that a student will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in English and Math within a one-year timeframe and use, in the placement of students into English and Math courses, one or more of the following measures: high school coursework, high school grades, and/or high school grade point average.

Enrolling into English

In accordance with the state law AB 705, all incoming Golden West students can take English G100 - Freshman Composition (4 units), ideally their first semester. Based on the table below, some students may also elect to take English G100S - Freshman Composition Support (4 units), which provides additional faculty-led support.

Eligibility for Students Enrolling in English Courses
High school GPA of 3.0 or above ENGL G100
High school GPA of 2.6 - 2.99 ENGL G100S (recommended); ENGL G100 (optional)
High school GPA below 2.6 ENGL G100S (strongly recommended); ENGL G100 (optional)

For non-native English speakers who wish to improve their skills in speaking, comprehending, reading, or writing the English language, you may also complete My Academic Plan (MAP) or contact the Counseling Office at (714) 895-8119, to schedule an appointment with a Counselor for assistance in determining the appropriate placement into an ESL or English course.

Enrolling into Math

All students may enroll directly into transfer, college-level math. Placement is based primarily on high school grades.

High School Course High School GPA Highest Placement
Calculus w/ any grade 3.2 or higher MATH G180
Calculus w/ any grade 2.6 to 3.1 MATH G140 or G170
Pre-Calculus w/ C or higher 3.2 or higher MATH G180
Trigonometry w/ C+ or higher 3.4 or higher MATH G140 or G170
Algebra 2 w/ B or higher 3.4 or higher MATH G140 or G170
Algebra 2 w/ B- or lower Below a 3.4 MATH G115

If you do not meet the criteria for the highest math class you took, please re-take the class at the college level.

Please note: The math class you take depends on your major and career goals. Please talk with a counselor or take My Academic Plan (MAP) to identify your optimal math class.