Teaching Middle School or High School

Teacher Education - Middle or High School

What should I major in?
The major you select should reflect the subject area you plan to teach. For example, students who are interested in teaching Math should major in Math. At some colleges and universities, these degree programs qualify as subject matter preparation programs. If not, students must pass the appropriate CSET to demonstrate subject matter competency. See a counselor for help with major selection.

What is required to teach middle school or high school ?
Students interested in teaching at the middle school or high school level must obtain a Single Subject Teaching Credential. This credential authorizes the holder to teach a particular subject, such as English or Math.

The Single Subject Teaching Credential is available in the following subjects:

  • Agriculture
  • Art
  • Business
  • English
  • English Language Development
  • Foundational-Level General Science
  • Foundational-Level Mathematics
  • Health Science
  • Home Economics
  • Industrial and Technology Education
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Physical Education
  • Science: Biological Sciences
  • Science: Chemistry
  • Science: Geosciences
  • Science: Physics
  • Social Science
  • World Languages: Languages other than English

Single Subject Teaching Credential Requirements:

  1. Complete a bachelors degree or higher from a regionally-accredited college or university.
  2. Satisfy the basic skills requirement [PDF]
  3. Verify subject matter competence. This requirement can be met in one of two ways:
    a. Passing the CSET exam in the subject(s) they wish to teach
    b. Completing a Single Subject Matter program
  4. Complete a course covering the Provisions and Principles of the U.S. Constitution (PSCI G180 at GWC) or pass an examination.
  5. Complete a single subject teacher preparation program, including student teaching. Obtain a formal recommendation for the credential by the program sponsor.
  6. Submit the appropriate paperwork along with fingerprints to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

How long does it take?
A bachelors degree is between 120-124 units (typically 4-5 years to complete). In addition, a teaching credential Program takes approximately 1-2 years to complete.

To schedule an appointment with a Teacher Preparation Pathway counselor, please call the Counseling Office at(714) 895-8799 or visit the Counseling website.